Solo Tasman

Island Time

Starts in 8 days!

Here is a shot of the Tasman currents today. As you can see on here, picking the correct route to get current assistance and to cross the EAC can make or break the race..

Tasman Currents.jpg

Not all the rotations are clockwise, so I've marked some for clarity.

A big part of this race can be managing this properly. Where the current is, and where the eddies are, can be found in grib files that include water temps. They are publicly available and therefore able to be used in the race, along with your weather reports.

I did not do this last time, and it was a mistake...

Good luck to all competitors this year!

Matt

You can overlay wind and current info on many chart plotters and PCs, the realtime bit is the problem. If you can get realtime info as a grib file, then no prob, but I'm not aware of anyone providing realtime data in this format, only forecasts. Anyone know of a source?

It's looking a very mixed bag for the first few days weather wise. Could be some big gains or loses to be made if you pick the weather right/wrong.

What a bitch of a weather to have for the last 3 days of boat prep.

Indeed... I've still got a few electrical things to try and get sorted for Cory and Lisa. Today probably isn't the day to be messing with the wind gear at the top of the mast!

Indeed... I've still got a few electrical things to try and get sorted for Cory and Lisa. Today probably isn't the day to be messing with the wind gear at the top of the mast!

I'm constantly told you Naki type are harder than steel. Go on up ya go :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm constantly told you Naki type are harder than steel. Go on up ya go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah mate... after 20yrs in Auckland I'm as soft as the foam on a Ponsonby Latte!

Wondered what was happening with the start.

Went down to the harbour to see the start but boats still on dock.

Pretty good westerly swell and 20+ knots (based on the eyeometer) wnw.

Fantastic, great to see the boats, are the organisers wanting to send them out of the in calmer water? Certainly 25 on the nose should be achieveable for these boats. If they left now 2 days time in the tasman would be nice reaching? Or do the competitors need 2 days to recover from the storm in the marina?

Nice to see Outsidedge proudly flying the Tasman Bay Cruising Club burgee -after their stay here in Nelson before heading up to NP.

Archived