Multimetres, what can they tell you?

There are several different kinds of electricity. The smoke type, the bright flash type, the bright flash and loud bang type and the worst of the lot, the bright flash loud bang and smoke type. It's possible there is a Fourth type. A bright flash followed by nothing else. But no one has ever survived that type to be able to testify it exists.

There is the vibration electricity too.

If you tell this type from the mouthhanging open silently, whole body shaking thing that occurs if you grab a hold of it.

Mildly funny in low doses, but the fall down frothing at the mouth variety requires careful handling.

Guest Dry Reach

Theres also the shaking uncontrolably after survival !

one of my first jobs, after leaving school, was to demolish a internal wall!

and they gave me a hammer, chisel and crow bar.

they said the power was off... until bang! :wtf: :thumbdown:

pulled the chisel out of the blackened Gib Board and it was 20 mm shorter and totally rooted. :crazy:

power was off after i had finished.

Consider the amount of power that would be supplied to a business like say Harvey Norman. Now consider a young apprentice with a skill saw running up a wall and cutting clean through all three phases of the heavy cable running to the biulding. I was quite surprised at the size of the flash that spun around the outer edge of the spinning blade and then my saw stopped. I had no idea what had happened to all the teeth on the blade, till the Boss came out expecting to find a young Lad turned into small pile of smoking ash.

Consider the amount of power that would be supplied to a business like say Harvey Norman. Now consider a young apprentice with a skill saw running up a wall and cutting clean through all three phases of the heavy cable running to the biulding. I was quite surprised at the size of the flash that spun around the outer edge of the spinning blade and then my saw stopped. I had no idea what had happened to all the teeth on the blade, till the Boss came out expecting to find a young Lad turned into small pile of smoking ash.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very lucky young lad!!

My best was wiring in a simple 2 way socket. Isolated at board, but it also fed the kitchen power plugs. Wife (now ex) found there was no power in the kitchen, wandered into the laundry, opened switch board and turned on breaker, just as I was twisting phase wires together by hand. Threw me across the room.... I'm sure she did it on purpose.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Put a bit of scotia up and nailed straight into the mains cable, that should have been nowhere near there. Fused nail to hammer and had to replace a the bit of gybe board I fell into. I didn't get belted, that time, but the bang and flash was enough to get me involuntarily off the ladder :?

Very lucky young lad!!

Oh the stories I could tell. I tell ya, when I finally make it to the pearly Gates, my Gardian angle will probably have to be carried through on a stretcher. She'll have singed wings, smoking hair, bruises, cuts, missing bits of anatomy along with a couple of bullet holes, ringing ears, a black eye or two and some missing teeth I am sure. :wink:

Oh an probably a nervous twitch.

The most wicked belt I got was as an apprentice.

I was building a battery charger and had found a massive transformer. Only problem was the output was too low to charge a 12V battery.

I decided to build a voltage doubler circuit to boost the juice.

When testing I got hooked up to the DC voltage.

It was only 24 volts but I found myself lying against a wall 3 metres from the bench from a sitting down position. :lol:

Awesome battery charger though when I got the cover on!!

Helping to remove wiring from one of the old sheds on Princes wharf - was told all the power is off to shed 22 which was the one we were working in so off I go - working away for a few hours and then FLASH BANG, side cutters had a hole blown in them and every other shed on the wharf was now without power... for the rest of the day.

Worked with an engineer that would test live circuits with his fingers, he would twitch a little and come out with some along the lines of -that's ok, or mmmmmmmm somthing wrong there as he was shaking alot, he is still alive and Wheels I think his guardian angel will be in worse shape than yours

Guest Dry Reach

One evening Just on dusk) i was digging a post hole on the corner boundry peg with a nice long steel bar.

this house was first in street.

And boof! Flash!... fall to ground :crazy:

got up, only to watch all the streets house lights flicker, go off , and come back on again!

waited 5 mins, no one was looking so filled up hole, compacted it. and went and had some dinner.

about a week later two electro guys with these orange wandy things were walking up and down the street until they worked their way to my corner boundry.

they dug a hole (in my hole) and found a dodgy cable... ... funny that.

found out later that the cable was not supposed do be on my property... whew :oops:

FLASH BANG, side cutters had a hole blown in them

I so hate it when that happens.

I decided to splash out of a real nice set of side cutters that set me back $90.00. The second cable I cut with them, there was that same flash bang and a hole blown in them. You'd think for 90 bucks, they'd be hole proof. :wink:

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone makes Titanium cutters.

I wonder if anyone makes Titanium cutters.

probably just end up with a more expensive hole knowing your luck :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yup. If it can happen it will happen to you Wheels I reckon! I used to love it when we had installed a whole lot of loadcells and the sparky created an earth path that went through them. Loadcells hate current, and several puffs of smoke later, and the customer would place an order for 4 new loadcells, and fit earth straps to the vessel we were weighing!! $$$$ for nothing and my consience was clear. :D :D

Archived