Jump to content

SSANZ SAS 2 Handed Series Baltic 50 Reports

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

The fleet got away cleanly after a 2hr postponement. At the original start time, 9am, it was blowing it's boobies off but come 11am it was tame verging on bugger all. Still an annoying lightish rain falling but that faded away about 5mins before the 1st start. Talk about chalk and cheese considering the last weeks weather or even the weather 2 hrs earlier.

Many boats got a visit for a safety check on jackets, harness, tethers, jack lines and a few things, all passed. NOTE: One or 2 boats took a little bit of time to dig out lifejackets. If something bad happened are you sure you'll have time to dig gear like that out?? How about moving them to the top of the heap so they can be grabbed faster, the next time you need to grab them it might not be just a safety check.

The powers that be would be pleased with the number of crews wearing jackets and how many of those had built in harnesses, a lot spotted being worn with tethers attached ready to go.

A few boats asking if the short course was a happening thing, Nope sorry, have a nice warm mug of harden the f**k up instead :)

A nice array of wet gear on parade but isn't red getting a little boring now, I think so.

All clean starts heading north from the Northern Leading start line to get around Rangi Light.

As usual the Sport boat fleet pushed the line and took of with big juggling for positions. It's a good looking fleet that one with some very tweaked boats, flash sails and predominately highly ugly crews.

By the time the Small boat and Multis got close to the Light the wind had softened to almost non existent and what there was had moved more left, it wasn't looking spectacular for them. But the boats around Rangi Light looked to have a nice, if not large, breeze so fingers crossed everyone hooked into that breeze.

About then the RIB crew saw a dark mass heading back into get the fleet so the hammer went down and they were outter there. Damn handy having a 115hp mainsail, it goes faster than rain :thumbup:

Now awaiting the word to create a finishline.
  • 0

#2 PaulR


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationGlendowie, Auckland

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Sadly but fortunately I'm not racing this year in the Baltic 50.

Just back from Achillies Point lookout. Knot a yacht in sight that looked like a racer, only flat calm and lots or rain down towards Motuihe Channel and Browns Island. Waiheke could knot be seen.

It could be a slow wet drifter . . . but wait there's more . .

A break in the cloud out west and as I type, I'm in sunshine . . . :thumbup:

But more big grey clouds comming from the west. :thumbdown:
  • 0
If it breaks, its not strong enough!
SIMPLICITY requires a lot of INNOVATION!

#3 Maté



  • Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

I woke up to "tiri tiri peak 55kts" and "storm warning in force" on the vhf so kind of kind expected a delay 'cause yotting is meant to be fun and slamming into it in 35kts in the pouring rain in the middle of winter didnt quite add up! But all in all it was very pleasant if not a bit wet and cold.

Nonetheless we got off to a good start and managed to keep the wind with us until the noises which saw the fleet sailing sheeted in hard in 9 different directions between there and the Aha's. Eventually it sorted itself and we 2 sailed once we turned the corner down to waiheke as the symmetrical kites were going too low n slow! Made some ground on the way to rocky bay and squandered it letting a few boats past by not sailing the angles. It looked like there was going to be a good fast run home but only more rain instead. The wind lost all its puff half way to bean and we listed to the radio with plenty of retirements behind in the other divisions, must have been disappointing for those who put in a good days effort around the track.

All in all a great day and thanks to the SSANZ guys for putting it on and hey KM I went out and spent up large on some updated safety gear and you couldnt be bothered putting your cocoa down, fastening up your dressing gown and popping your head out of the heated cabin for a miserable how do you do, honestly they must pay you too much :mrgreen:
  • 0

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#4 Guest__*

  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

I was out on the SR26 Mercenary after many years of "gentleman's sailing" on Revolution. Fortunately Sean had taken me out on a Richmond winter series race the previous week so we had a chance to call that practise. With 5 SRs and Motorboat the screaming favourite it was looking like a good race was in order. We were both down to the boat early on Sat and got ready. Noticing the lack of activity on G Pier we found out there had been the postponement. So back home to dry out the wet weather gear and have another coffee.
Out to the start. Code 0. Correct. #2 wrong, so we did a change out on the way to Rangi Light. This got us a bit low which we didn't mind as we wanted to protect the left. However watching all the other SRs lifting inside us and tacking back to Rangi had us talking, but staying patient. Eventually got the shift and laid through to the Noises. This was nice, and while Motorboat was still ahead it wasn't by much and we had a clutch of 88s and Ross 930s around us. Then we took our place in the parking lot watching the rich get richer and glad we weren't on the boats behind us to the Ahaas. Decided on the Code 0 for the trip to Waiheke which was the correct call. Had to do a back up as we came past Sergeants which lost a bit of ground but needed to be done as we could feel the weed. Lumped the #1 to Rocky and had a steadily dying flat run all the way to Browns. Never stopped but only just and did good things to the 88s around us. Then finished with a lovely reach home, passing another 88, a 1020 and finishing on the tail of a few boats that had been well in front at Rocky. Well done to Motorboat, Sailor Moon and those that took advantage of being in front to stretch further. We were very happy with being 2nd SR26 and to be 2nd in fleet was a great reward for a busy day in the rain.
  • 0

#5 Guest__*

  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

hey KM I went out and spent up large on some updated safety gear and you couldnt be bothered putting your cocoa down, fastening up your dressing gown and popping your head out of the heated cabin for a miserable how do you do, honestly they must pay you too much :mrgreen:

Every dog will have it's day, best you don't stop barking just yet fella. Knot to mention what way to get yourself to the top of the hit list (if there was one) :lol: :lol:

You wouldn't want to be paying the RC, some were checking the weather at 5am and still going 22hrs later as the last boat crossed the line. Things they do to give you some fun and make sure everyone gets home safely. Just think of the overtime bill.
  • 0

#6 Cameron


    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

5am ??? I was up before 4.
  • 0

#7 Ptown


    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Shorthaul Sports Race Report - The Entertainer

I must admit that when I woke on Saturday morning I was planning just how little sail I could put up and/or whether I should just chuck the bloody thing in as it was still blowing it's tits off in Browns Bay.

Just as I arrived at Westhaven at 7am I got the FB post RE the postponment which by this time it had notably dropped off. So Colin and I sat and talked boats for the wait in the car and nervously checked the nowcasting oh and enjoyed a bacon and egg sanga - thanks again Col.

The next challenge was to get rigged and moving without getting too damned wet and cold as the rain was still persisting down.

The rain lifted by the time we were in the start sequence so that was good.

Had an ok start, possibly a bit too far to leeward than what I'd wanted but in the front row. Boat didn't feel flash off the line and I quickly realised in a forehead-slapping moment that I hadn't put the motor up! OK, settle back down after a bit of choice cursing and found a lane, if not a bit lower than I'd've liked. A few Code 0's out at this point, so a bit of sail-envy, which I stuffed away by concentrating on my tell tails.

The work from Rangi light was not bad for us our pace seemed OK and we chose a couple of good tacks trying to squeeze the most out of the tide. Crossed tacks with No Worries a few times until they chose the Motutap shore which didn't work out so well. Overstood a bit coming in to The Noiseys and got slowly picked off by Grunt Machine who had good pace in the conditions which were about 10-15 from the North/Eish and a decent 2-3m swell.

Had a bit of a shocker heading out to the Aaha's as the breeze died out and swung more to the east. The rich got really rich at this point. We opted for a change up to the #1 which really should have been our sail of choice out of the start-box. Rounded with a few 88's and settled in to tight two-sail reach across the bay to Matiatia with Cold Pizza and coke...nice.

Went too high in the waiheke coast and lost all the ground we'd gained on not a bad leg so a few more choice curses were flying out the back and at the sails and the wind gods. We joked that there aren't enough people on board to hand the helm to when you're going badly, too often the conversation went:
"do you wanna steer for a while??"
"Yeah nah not really"...takes over. 5 minutes later:
"do you wanna go now?"
"Yeah nah"...

Anyway, a bit overpowered with the #1 coming in to Rocky Bay until it started to die about 5 minutes out. Had seen Motorboat go flying past with the big gear up downwind and then GruntMachine a bit later. Excellent hoist of the big gear.

About 1/2 an hour into the flat-off, with it just keeping on dying, nervous jokes about getting to the finish with the sun coming up which kept getting worse as it died in the arse down by Browns. It took a few desperate gybes to get round the Browns light trying to keep the kite full with the apparent.

Snuck in a little gybe away from Browns and a 1020 (I think. It was dark) that was plaguing us and found a gentle puff which we held onto all the way in past Bean Rock to finish about 7.30pm

Great race, thanks SSANZ! Boat wasn't holding us back. Great company, Colin has more stories than Walt Disney and deals with my outbursts really well.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully on The Entertainer.
  • 0



#8 Tiller


    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

tack hammers report
  • 0

#9 B00B00


    Advanced Member

  • Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Motorboat Shorthaul 2 race report.

Really who would have ever thought that this race would have been sailed in a light E-NE breeze, sure the rain was expected but not the breeze.....

Shorthaul 2 and the Y88 fleet starts together which has its positives and negatives, positives of more boats to gauge your performance on but negatives of a busy aggressive startline and traffic.
Anyway, we got a clear start at the right end of the line. With the wind just forward of the beam at about 6kts. We just had the #1 genoa on but had the zero out to the end of the prod and ready to go. Sailormoon was up to weather and close to rolling us, it was light enough that clear air was very important so we worked hard at maintaining our lane. We hoisted the zero for a few minutes which enabled us to just stay clear of sailormoon. When we got the knocking breeze on the other side of Rangi we went back to the headsail but the boat didn’t feel all that good and we slowly got rolled by Sailormoon, after a quick tack to the shore to clear our air and we then got rolled by another Y88. We were struggling to get to our boat speed numbers (both Damon and I have sailed the boats enough to know what speeds an SR26 should be doing!) so did a quick weed check, sure enough there was a big dirty bit of weed wrapped on the keel. We did a quick backup to clear the keel which but put us right back in the pack and we had to work hard to find clear lanes and get back into it. We were very wary of the left hand side of the track as we could envisage an aggressive left hand shift at some stage. Surprisingly the first shift was actually a right hander which got us back into the game. There was getting to be a big split in the fleet with mercenary and grunt machine a long way to the left of us, Rattle, gaucho, no worries, entertainer and a few others to the right. We had decided early on that our best strategy was to just play the fleet and not the sides. Make sure we don’t give too much leverage to the competition as the breeze really could do absolutely anything at anytime.... You might lose occasionally to a boat on the fringe of the course but long term it was about minimising loss. Giving that theory we had to keep a loose cover on the right hand side of the course where most of our competition was. This gave good leverage to the left hand boats and sure enough the next shift was a BIG left hander giving them a gain. We were in the middle of the track lifting hard on port tack heading towards Rakino island. We thought about banging back into it as there was still more left hand pressure on the left side of the track but would have consolidated a huge loss so we just kept going and be patient. This was a good move as we lifted right up to the noiseys and laid right through on port. The boats below us suffered quite hard as they got the shift much latter and were below the lay having to take a punishing tack back.
From there to the Ahaahaa’s it was painfull sailing. The wind lightened off and went forward, then the seaway turned huge and sloppy. We tried the code zero but with that seaway it just didn’t work so we went back to the genoa and concentrated hard. I lay on the floor below to keep the weight centred and low while Damon tried to extract whatever speed he could out of the boat. Eventually we just sneaked around the Ahaahaa’s with little room to spare and next to war machine who were having a great race. We went for the masthead gennaker for the leg from there to Waiheke. This is a 15+ year old sail and very big and baggy, not that ideal for the tight reach but at least we were powered up! We got about halfway before having to drop it and 2 sail the rest of the way then upwind for the last bit.
At the bottom of Waiheke the boat felt a bit sticky again so we did another backup and the Motorboat felt like a weapon once again. We could see the boats in Tamaki straight were all well lifted in more left hand breeze so we wanted to be inside that shift. We were the only boat to bang back hard inshore a few times to come out almost right on the point but staying out enough to be in the incoming current that flows in an easterly direction through Tamaki Straight (opposite to what you might think). It seems to me that you always want to be on the inside of any corner. You could see the river of current going with us pushing against the breeze causing a short sharp chop. We short tacked in the tide lines a few times and made some gains. The wind was steadily building and we had around 14kts, certainly top end of the #1 genoa while 2 handed. The last part of the beat we were ragging the main hard and pretty overpowered but it was not worth a headsail change. Sailor moon banged hard right and had benefited by a substantial right hand shift that had all of us overlaid into rocky bay bouy. We lumped it to the mark and hoisted the big kite for the run home. Our plan of each taking a full kit of dry clothes paid off as we both got changed and felt fresh and ready to go. Nothing worse than being completely cold and sodden. The run to the finish was a nice way to end the day, happy hour and the soundcheck playlist cranking on the stereo as the sun went down. A few gybes to avoid tide lines and maximise small windshifts in the lightening breeze. From browns island to bean rock was very light, it went aft quite dramatically and we did well out of an early soak when the breeze was further forward and had a better angle into bean rock.
We finished at 6:22 and got the gun for Shorthaul 2. We had a feeling that it was going to be a rich get richer situation here with the tide about to turn and the wind shutting down but were stoked to see the final handicap results with a win on corrected time by almost an hour.
We had drunk way too much and had the stereo cranked up loud for the whole race. Good times aboard the Motorboat and a rum fest that went well into the night. Luckily we managed to drag a few other crews down with us....
As usual the boat was immaculately prepared by Damon.

Big thanks to the SSANZ team and other volunteers on the Comittee boat for spending a day and night in the rain so we could go out and have fun.
Bring on the next race.
  • 0

#10 Dambo


    Advanced Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

We had drunk way too much and had the stereo cranked up loud for the whole race. I lay on the floor below to keep the weight centred and low while Damon tried to extract whatever speed he could out of the boat.

Fixed it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users