Cleaning ABS Plastic?

Clipper

I have a couple of secondhand plastic ABS hatches that are pretty grubby and have paint and rust stains on them. Can anyone advise what cleaners or solvents might help? (and what should be avoided)

IMG00034-20100717-1132.jpg

The price was extremely reasonable, and we started drinking it, so no help there.

Was more wondering if Iwould damage the plastic if I tried to clean with acetone, or would jif help, or something like that.

Keep solvents away from the stuff. Although ABS can stand most of them, it actually causes the plastic to become brittle and easily broken later on. But Acetone is one that will damage the surface and actually can result in driving the dirt deeper in and harder to remove.

Try the Gelcoat stain removers. I know that will at least handle the Rust stains. the other stains I am not so sure. It depends on what has made them. Mr Muscle Cold Oven cleaner does magic with many stains and won't hurt the plastic and yes the Jiff maybe worth a try as it is a mild scourer. Otherwise maybe a cutting compound as used on Gelcoat. Treat it a little likeGelcoat and you won't go far wrong.

Guest Dry Reach
Dishwasher powder also works a treat...

For rust stains the best is Oxalic Acid, available from your chemistg.

Also you can cut and polish ABS but use a very fine cutting compound.

to whiten if return to original colour...

Peroxide Method (for ABS plastic)

You Will Need:

Hydrogen peroxide

Oxy laundry booster

Sunshine or UV light

Water

Bucket or large bowl

Rubber gloves

Goggles

Steps to Whiten the Plastic:

Begin by protecting yourself with rubber gloves and goggles.

Fill the bucket with hydrogen peroxide.

Add ¼ teaspoon of Oxy laundry booster for each gallon of peroxide.

Place the yellowed plastic pieces into the solution and allow them to soak.

The soaking time will vary with most pieces whitening in 2-6 hours. The mixture will last for up to four days before it needs to be replaced. Retr0Bright has also developed a way to make this into a gel that can be spread onto the plastic. This is especially helpful for larger items.

Set the items under a UV light or out in the sunshine.

When the item has reached the desired whiteness, remove and rinse thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaning products.

If necessary, wash with dish detergent and water.

Additional Tips and Ideas

While bleach can be an effective color remover, it may weaken the plastic over time.

Also there are good Automotive systems for painting them.

Archived