Does anyone know this yacht?

Ok.The pictures are located at Hellyers creek just north of the beach haven wharf.Can anyone ,maybe with binoculars,confirm that the boat is still out there?

Nice the way she is smoking right next to the petrol container in the last picture.

Choice.

aint it just , also like the "precision instrument" in the hydraulic thread, barks like a dog bud...........run...... far and fast

Looks like a Golden Cowrie to me. Could be a good boat if its cheap enough. a few others for sale if not. Like... http://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/View/Used/H ... 11020.aspx

However, if someone wanted me to pay a grand to look at their boat I'd be saying words that rhyme with duck and hunt. If its difficult to show people due to distance that shouldn't be a potential buyers issue. IMO you should at least row out and have a look before parting with any coin.

Yes its a Golden Cowrie and should have huge volume inside for its size and therefore make a good livaboard.The deck is ferro but I hope with the flush deck design it wouldnt be tender.Maybe Wheels or someone can comment on this.

I am trying to find a way to get out to it and at least look at the outside.But I am staying in the Waikato and dont have my own car.I have the use of a PVC dingy.A dangerous thing.But it might do the job in calm conditions.But....I dont yet have an air pump.....and my lungs aint going to inflate it.

Fijian and GC are both very similar designs. So as Tahitian and South Sea's. Length often being the main difference which of course alters the internal layout. Nothing wrong with the FC deck, They were designed for that. The only time you have to worry is if they have a cabin on top made from FC. They were never designed for that. But the beauty of the GC/Fij was the flat deck giving plenty of open clear deck space.

The weight tends to be what stops them moving underfoot. However, if they are well balanced, they will still have a certain amount of movement side to side. The Rig should be heavy enough to balance the boat in a sea. Too light a rig and they pendulum. Rig mass slows that momentum.

They are a nice boat, huge volume inside. The deck being higher tends to give more internal headroom. Although they catch the wind side on a little more than the Tahitian. No more than any other high sides boat however.

If she has a Galv rig, that can be a big plus. Be careful if she has a SST rig. You need to check age of the rig. If it is old, it could cost you.

May I ask the price being asked??? PM me if you want to keep that confidential. I can try and help you with advise as much as I can without seeing it.

Warning, FC absorbs and transfers heat after sunset. An FC deck can be hot. Make sure you have a very light colour on deck or the heat can become unbearable below. White decks get too bright on the eyes, and dew up at night and take ages to dry. So just a little colour can be good.

Yes it has Stainless rig wires.I suspect the seller has not owned the boat much more than a year and he doesnt know the rig age.So you are alluding to the usuall cracked swage problem with old stainless?The seller did say something about the chainplates need replacement,so that is a worry.The seller says the wires are 12mm,which I thought was good but a bit overkill.

Yeah 12mm is overkill. Maybe 12mm on forestay, but 11mm would be more like it. Same with backstay unless it is twin backstay. Shrouds are fine at 8mm, 10 max. I know of SST rigs that are 20+ years old and still going strong. But the rule of thumb is 15yrs. epending on how strong the rig is, that may not need be a worry. Often the Hartley Rigs are well supported and can handle a wire breaking. Just depends on the how she is rigged.

A SST righ may look shiney, but a Galv rigger is far stronger and longer lasting and much cheaper to re-rig. If the terminations are simple, it is possible to do it yourself and a substantial saving.

Been speaking to a couple of guys in the Air Force yacht club and it seems the boat turned up there about 3 years ago and never moved since, occasionally some one is seen on board but no-one has ever seen it move. Let me know when your back up this way and you can come for a ride in my dinghy out there, be a good excuse for me to check on mine as well, I try to a couple of times a week. Dan

be a good excuse for me to check on mine as well, I try to a couple of times a week. Dan

Good to see that comment. I thought my fleet checking all the time was overly anal but at least I'm now knot alone in that :lol: :lol:

Archived