VOR Leg 1 - Alicante to Cape Town

Absolution

The Volvo is two days in and no posts in VOR talk yet...?

So far the VOR65 one design is providing the close racing that you would expect. Most boats opting to cover rather than roll the dice and do their own thing. They all have the some polars and probably the same weather routing software so that's not surprising.

Biggest gamble so far coming from the girls on board SCA and it looks like it has paid off:

Volvo_SCA_leading.PNG

The girls move is looking good alright. I hope it pays off for them.

It's funny but I've ended up supporting three boats - and they are all "underdogs' in one way or another:

- The Young Guns on Alvamedica, as I know some onboard.

- The "Late to the party" Team Vesta Wind, being half ex Camper crew

- The Girls on SCA - just because I want them to show the boys up!

It's looking like a low speed drag race at the moment... still only 7nm between them so it looks like all of the crews are sailing the boats to their polars and content to follow the leader.

A bit boring sadly. Bring on the southern ocean!

Agreed. I think the Dashboard/tracker info has regressed from last year.

I can't see basics like distance to finish and boat heading [if you disregard the 3D pic which is pretty limited detail].

Can't decide if Vestas & Mapfre are getting caught tactically or are playing catch up with learning to get best speed. The seem a bit off the pace after they got out of the Med.

The app seems ok on the iPad, opening the list of boats then selecting one opens up more information.

The app on the iPhone needs to be forced closed and reopened for the latest updates for the tracker I have discovered.

The race has been pretty boring so far but maybe we get some kick into it now when the boats have some more wind/speed. The girls stayed too far offshore and lost a lot. I would like them to catch up the other boats, it would be good for the race.

The app on my android is ok but it could be so much better. I would like to get the old version back for the desktop browser. At least they added the desimals for average speeds now on dashboard. I would like to be able to see weather forecast too, not just current weather. And even the weather I see is rubbish. I get a feeling from the app that is not made by people who sail. Maybe the app works for people who don't sail/race, don't know. I am just not getting the info I want.

Archived