Vestas Wind Aground

Hurts

Yep, my understanding is that they are (trying to) blame the nav software not displaying the island and reef "except on some scales". It is the navigators responsibility to check the route and surrounds in detail. Paper charts are the same - if you only use the trans-ocean charts, you can, and likely will, be unaware of some dangers. :oops:

Do the weather routing routing smarts not integrate with the navigation systems? It may be fastest sailing direct from A to C based on wind, but surely any routing is going to take into account that you have to go via B to get to C and start waving flags?

One of the other boats - AD, Brunel ? was saying they'd been thinking about the shoals for the week prior.

I can understand a cock-up - we screwed up, we were knackered, we lost track of things, we tried to cut too close - but if they do say they didn't zoom in and didn't know the lumps were there.....

At this point NONE of the weather routing programs I have seen will avoid small bits of hard stuff - I know that this is in the development phase for a few though, so maybe someone has it.

I'm just going through the latest product training for B&G, so if you give me a few days I'll come back and report where they are with that....

I guess where I was going was that I would have assumed these lumps/waypoints along the course were identified pre-race and any weather routing provided took these into account. Can understand that weather routing on it's own is just that and isn't going to find things for you. But I assume for things like the iceberg boundary they must be able to set a fence on any routing and say 'find me an alternative route' [as per 'stay off motorways' on Googlemaps] if proposed course takes them past the boundary. Surely they don't just say - oh well, it's suggested we go into forbidden territory, we'll have to turn it off and figure it out by hand.

Lots of assumptions here of course.

Massive sympathy for these guys on a number of levels and they were one of my picks for the race.

Crew has now left the island for Mauritius.

Whats the bet when they get back to salvage what is left of the boat she will be completely stripped by the locals. All 46 of them.

I hope they've made contingencies for this.

You'd think they could get a tug out there and remove the keel and pull her off the reef.

RC, in the routing software I've used, you can set boundaries, but pretty simple - Lat/Long for each edge , with a start and finish point. Theirs is likely to be a bit more sophisticated...

With the Nobeltec one, or the OpenCPN one, if you used the leg start and finish points, or interim waypoints, with N and S boundaries, it would run over any small land features. It's a routing package, NOT a navigation package....

I can remember coming fairly close to Simpsons rock off the Mokes while heading from Cape Brett to Barrier. The rock didn't show on the chartplotter at higher zooms (Navionics).

Basic error really and no one to blame but ourselves. Luckily I took a peak at the paper chart and spotted the rock a couple of miles before we got to it. Those chart plotters can make you a bit lazy. Having said that it was a lesson well learnt and during our round NZ trip we had no close calls despite relying mostly on the same plotter but with occasional checks on the paper charts. I know you can plot a rhumb line on the paper chart and we sometimes do but often you deviate from that line especially on the wind so the answer is eternal vigilance and no complacency. It is surprising that this has happened to Vestas given their level of experience.

Yep. Boat is *'?*¥Ed. Will be interesting to see if we get to hear what went wrong, but it really can't be other than a complete navigation failure. ALL The electronics, either broken or off, AND the skipper and Navigator. I hope there is a reason I have not thought of, but it looks ugly!

There go I for the grace of god and all that, but I do notice on google earth that St Brandons shoals are 25 miles North south by about 12 east west ,and show up rather well from an elevation of a kilometre above the earth. Its quite big.

Waiheke is about 10 long , Great Barrier is 20, Rangitoto roughly approximates the area of Minerva reef ( North) at 3 miles across.

I'm not so sure about the plotter zoom theories now. I wonder if was sailing to a waypoint , sorta like Witchdocter sailing to motuketekete light a few years ago.

either way, still breaking THE fundamental rule of Navigation - NEVER rely on one source of data. If GPS/plotter is your primary, confirm with radar, sonar, mk1 eyeball etc etc.

If they had been running a radar guard zone, had depth alarms set, or even if all boats were transmitting AIS, this almost certainly would not have happened.

Archived