idlerboat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted Today, 10:33 AM

The latest from NASA.

A group of glaciers spanning an eighth of the East Antarctica coastline are being melted by the warming seas, scientists have discovered.

This Antarctic region stores a vast amount of ice, which, if lost, would in the long-term raise global sea level by tens of metres and drown coastal settlements around the world.

Freezing temperatures meant the East Antarctica region was until recently considered largely stable but the research indicates that the area is being affected by climate change.

The vast Totten glacier was known to be retreating but the new analysis shows that nearby glaciers in the East Antarctica area are also losing ice.

To the east of Totten, in Vincennes Bay, the height of the glaciers has fallen by about three metres in total since 2008, before which no loss had been recorded.

To the west of Totten, in Wilkes Land, the rate of height loss has doubled since 2009, with glaciers losing height by about two and a half metres to date.

The data comes from detailed maps of ice movement speed and height created by Nasa from satellite information.

Alex Gardner, a glaciologist at Nasa’s jet propulsion laboratory in Pasadena, California, said: “The change doesn’t seem random, it looks systematic. That hints at underlying ocean influences that have been incredibly strong in West Antarctica. Now we might be finding clear links of the ocean starting to influence East Antarctica.”

full article here

https://www.theguard...-climate-change

and another article here

https://www.independ...e-a8677491.html

There is only two substances..stuff and glue...and even glue is made of stuff,,
quote."MD"

#1012 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted Today, 01:24 PM

Chill KM, you have to admit it does actually make more sense :)

Bullying is NEVER OK.

I read you only post months ago, have you finally changed to a new one?

#1013 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

Am I missing something? I think you have got your wires crossed somewhere.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users