#21 Megwyn

Megwyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationSomewhere - I think

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

Megwyn, yeah I think it does matter that we know what is causing it, if we don't know we can't fix it (if it's fixable).

Hi Pumbaa

Does it matter if it is only due to natural causes, or if it really is human impact? If we can reduce our impact, then should we not find a way?

What is the worst thing that would happen if they were wrong, and we put systems in place to lesson human impact on the environment?

What is the worst thing that could happen if we are a major contributor to the problem and we don't?

Why, after so many years of debate (I don't know how long this debate has been boiling, but it seems like around 2 decades), are we still arguing about cause?

Put that enormous human energy and ingenuity into preventative and supportive measures rather than destructive arguments.

Ego has no place when an entire planetary ecosystem is at stake

Or do we just wait for the Vogans (or some other intergalactic species that may or may not exist) to vaporise us all.

All experience is an arch wherethrough Gleams that untravelled world, whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move

#22 Pumbaa

Pumbaa

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBay of Islands

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

The problem is that we have major contributors like the US/China/Canada etc actively seeking to undermine the process of action.So we can't put human energy into preventative or supportive measures because they still want to deny the existence of a problem and actively work against a solution. All the arguments are out there and they've been debated until every ones sick of it. But you can't give up because it's actually important. John Boehner won't listen to me, neither will Tony Abbot but I can try with KMm or Wheels and I doubt if they will ever change their minds but they might know in their quiet times that they are wrong and won't be so vociferous about it to their kids,grand kids or co workers etc.

I had promised that I wouldn't buy another boat that didn't work, was broken, unfinished, sunk or that I hadn't seen.

#23 Megwyn

Megwyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

The problem is that we have major contributors like the US/China/Canada etc actively seeking to undermine the process of action.So we can't put human energy into preventative or supportive measures because they still want to deny the existence of a problem and actively work against a solution. All the arguments are out there and they've been debated until every ones sick of it. But you can't give up because it's actually important. John Boehner won't listen to me, neither will Tony Abbot but I can try with KMm or Wheels and I doubt if they will ever change their minds but they might know in their quiet times that they are wrong and won't be so vociferous about it to their kids,grand kids or co workers etc.

I concur.

I actually watched an incredible doco last year. Being an enthusiast photographer, I was looking for some photographic docos, and came across a man who wanted to know the answer to glacial melting for himself. He set up cameras at glaciers and took timelapse images.

The evidence was heartbreaking.

Personally, I really don't give a damn why it is happening. Whether you want to call it climate change, global warming, or believe that there is some extraterrestrial race beaming laser energy at the planet to heat it up, it is folly to stick our heads in the sand and deny the climate of this planet is heating up, and the destruction of it's biodiversity that will occur as a consequence.

I will find out that doco - I think we should all watch it . . .edited - to add hyperlink https://chasingice.com/

All experience is an arch wherethrough Gleams that untravelled world, whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move

#24 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

If you want to be really depressed read this each day

http://www.desdemonadespair.net/

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#25 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

I don't know what to believe P.

#26 Megwyn

Megwyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

If you want to be really depressed read this each day

http://www.desdemonadespair.net/

Thanks BP - but a brief look informed me such browsing may be detrimental to my health . . .

#27 Megwyn

Megwyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

I don't know what to believe P.

Well KM, when you are kicking back in your man-cave tonight knocking back a rum or five; rather than flicking through your latest acquisition of bustie blondes :razz: , take a gander at what James Balog found out during his unbiased research project . . .

and his home page: https://chasingice.com/

I got his doco from Fatso :twisted:

#28 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

I'll have a watch.

A quick skim of the website and BP's show they rabbit stuff 1st said on Sceptical science. If you put the Kochs (spelling??) on one side of the CC debate see-saw you'd balance it by putting Sceptical science on the other. Both are a little out there and have been proven to be so.

In the cave tonite it will be Monteith's Summer Ale while I finish my motor mounts and ponder what galley design No 5 will be. The light at the end of the tunnel grows brighter.

#29 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

A Foundation backed by -

- A old school religious & political family of some large wealth in Aussie who's deceased relative coined the term 'Commonwealth of Australia'. 

- Another is venture capitalist who was a partner at Lehman Brothers who now runs his onwn venture capital business.

- Another is a Foundation who has one singular and intentionally anonymous funder. Rumours have it there is a connection to the Home Depot. 

- Another is a nice old dear who gives lots of money to all sorts of outfits, no idea where all her money came from.

They all donated coin (4 mil US +/-) to the same mob last year.

Does that mob believe in man made CC or not?

#30 Pumbaa

Pumbaa

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBay of Islands

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Who knows, it depends if they support dodgy scientists our not. I looked up a random contributor for the heartland inst. David Legate, first off it reads quite normally member of this...fellow of that... Then he's part of an evangelist group that believes god made the world perfectly for man and so we are incapable of interfering with it, therefore man made climate change isn't real. I get that time and again when you look at their scientists. Not all religious but plenty are.
I had promised that I wouldn't buy another boat that didn't work, was broken, unfinished, sunk or that I hadn't seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users