883 replies to this topic

#871 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:56 AM

The global fossil fuel industry faces a loss of $US28 trillion ($A30.2 trillion) in revenues over the next two decades, if the world takes action to address climate change, cleans up pollution and moves to decarbonise the global energy system.

I am not arguing the figure is wrong, but it is likely not exactly right either. This is because Oil goes into more than just Fuel.
About 51% goes to making Petrol.
A further 15% becomes Diesel (I expected that to be higher)
12% Jet Fuel
That's around 78% total. So 20% goes into everything else, so the industry would lose 80% of that $30trillion dollars.
That $30tillion is not pure profit. It is the overall earnings, and the cost of exploration comes out of that. The loss with exploration is huge. 2018 budget for global exploration is round $37 Billion, which has been ramping down 67% from 2014. A further decrease of 4% is expected by the end of the year. Basically, the industry is getting nervous and pulling back from exploration.

#872 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

Don't think so A J Oliver I never took up smoking because I used my brains.Same with GW You don't have "to be manipulated" in fact I don't read much from either side. Just use my brain and apply common sense. Try it !

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#873 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Even so wheels it is orders of magnitude greater than the number KM produced. Remember follow the money.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#874 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

It's very easy to see the money being poured into the alarmist side is now far far larger than the sceptics side. It's been that way for many years now. Even the UN has acknowledged that.

Keep current please people.

#875 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

Remember follow the money.

Not denying , because I have no facts yet to support any arguments. But this is a common line used in many arguments, that I have found often leads to nutty conspiracies and down right false assumptions.

#876 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

Several posts back, someone commented about money going to scientists, or in this case, not going. The use of this argument is also not correct. It is not about individuals tapping into income sources. It is about the organisations employing the scientists that are tapping into income streams. If you someone wants to use the line, follow the money, then yes indeed, follow the money to the Universities and other such research organisations that have changed their focus from what they once researched to what they do now.

#877 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

That's right W. Many of the Universities have turned themselves from true learning institutuions to earning institutions. As has been stated.....follow the money !

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#878 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

Wow. I think AA just argued in favour of public funding for tertiary education. Couldnt agree more.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#879 Plato

Plato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

All i'm trying to illudtrate, no matter which side of the fence you sit, the truth as presented depends on the agency delivering the truth. 'Public Relations' 'propaganda' is delivered by both sides of the argument 

Follow the money, and next time you have bacon and eggs for breakfast, ask why 

I'm sceptical about anyone who claims authority over information.

Just saying!!

#880 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

In my view, I still think one of the biggest climate causing issues the World has is with deforestation, which in some places, has had huge effects on weather, even as far away as the other side of the world. You only need to change a Weather pattern/flow in one place and you can alter weather everywhere. s already said, Water vapour is the biggest changer of air temperatures and you only have to alter evaporation and condensation points on the globe and you will shift huge weather system patterns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users