Where to buy jackstays

Bimini Babe

Any advice on the best place to buy new jackstays? My partner threw the last lot overboard (but of course it's all my fault because I didn't tell him they were in the bag with the drogue when he pulled it out while hanging over the back of the boat! :x )

Go to a sailmaker or canvas making dude and get 2500kg minimum rated 25mm webbing. Tell them you want 50mm loops with 150mm of sewn overlap and it is a life saving device, just makes them sew nicer. You could sew it yourself but they have big machines and can do it in no time. Measure the boat and get them made 50mm shorter then lash using a small dyneema line, don't be shy your life might depend on it one day.

Wichard is good gear but you do pay through the nose for it, sorry Gappy. Besides Murphys Law dictates anything adjustable will have un-adjusted 10 minutes before you want to use it or even worse, while you're using it. Safety gear should be done using the KISS principal.

Also get your excrement together and stop chucking good gear away BB, husbands are always right, you should know that :twisted: ;)

Cheers guys, will check out the options.

KM - Me, sew? Are you serious?! The buttons I sew onto my pants keep falling off, so I'm not sure that's the best idea for a life-saving device.

I hear you have to sew them differently now as well? I.e. diagonally across the width of the fabric aint OK anymore - it's gotta be up and down the length of the fabric? Do I really need to specify all this to a sailmaker, or should they be familiar with all the requirements, e.g. load rating, colour, stitching, etc?

If the sailmaker does not know the requirements, you need to find a new sailmaker.

Seeing as Norths and Fyfe Sails advertise here (have I missed anyone??) you should perhaps try contacting one of them.

There is so much bollox floating around I'd just make sure you are happy to hang off them. Sew the crap out of it. Interesting to see marine authorities what some stuff done some specific ways which are often the opposite to what the dudes who use the same gear day in day out specify and are happy to use.

Like most gear, people who check it usually don't really know the technicals and are just looking at something with a 'If I had to use that would I?' type eye.

Any sailmaker should know the regs. The key thing with the sewing is that it doesn't hang off or is real close too the edges of the webbing.

BB you don't have to have sewn ones and I was advised by a cat3 inspector you can get a stronger jackstay a different way because the sewing is the weakest point.

I use the strong tubular webbing already recommended got it from Sailors corner.

It is looped around the strong points a couple of times allowing a tail about 300mm which is tied off with the jackstay using a strong and pretty braid which has a bowline then half hitches tied off on opposite sides about 150mm along the length of the jackstay. The jackstays run inside the shrouds pulled up fairly tight as the webbing gets a bit slack when wet.

I'm the main user and feel safer with it than sewn ones.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Hi Battgirl, thanks for the advice - struggling to visualise it a bit though! So did you just buy the tubular webbing and cleat it off to a thru-deck fitting? I did have a look at tubular webbing in Burnsco a while ago but they only stock black and white. Have Sailors Corner got the dayglo stuff?

We use a 20 mtr 4wd tow rope run up one side through the bow cleat and down the other it was purchased from repco and is made in New Zealand and rated to 4 tonne. Always take it off when not in use which keeps it looking new.

the inspector is happy with it for cat2 from memory a 2 tonne breaking strain is required.

It's a hell of alot more robust than alot of jacklines i've seen, I can understand you being a bit skeptical tho.

I don't see why they would knock back Willows idea. It is a shite load stronger than what the Regs want.

And nice thinking Willow, that is smarter than my idea. Comment based on having piles of flat and round slings at work yet going to the local canvas dude to make jacklines :? Those slings never even crossed my mind until now, bugger.

Buy you webbing in ONE length, twice the length of the boat plus a bit.

FIND the middle, and mark it both sides.

MAKE a loop with a nice flat figure of 8 knot, with the loop big enough to fit over your centre line mooring bollard,

RUN the webbing back on each side,

TIE off to aft mooring cleats, alloy toe rail or winch bases or other strong points.

Improvements. SSANZ Cameron suggested to me that tying on a large s/s ring on before the aft end is a good idea. It makes it easy to loop the tail around a strong point, then back up through the ring and then back again to make a tension tackle system before knotting off with several hitches.

The added advantage of the S/S ring is that it beomes a final stopping system so that even if the securing tail becomes loose, the S/S ring stops and tether clips passing along the webbing, and you disappearing over the side. I like it, but have yet to fit the rings!!

Simple and Cheap!

NO SEWING INVOLVED.

Remember to remove the webbing as it does fade if left on deck.

Sailors Corner has RED webbing at the moment.

Any sailmaker can get it. I got our yellow webbing from Lidgard Sails a few years ago.

I like willow's comments as well.

So check costs & keep the label for the inspector. 4 Tons is great!!

YNZ SR 17.23

"Jackstays shall have a minium strength

of 2000kg. Webbing, that lies flat, is

recommended."

Sweet! Repco it is then. Perhaps I can get some sexy camo ones... :D

I'm all for supporting the NZ marine industry, but I think it's often a case of "Oh, it's for marine use? Oh well, add 200% to the retail price then!" :thumbdown:

:lol: :lol: You'll pay more for less quality at Repco than most marine shops BB. The last time I was in at Repco, M10, Placemakers etc the best phrase to described the bits they sell that are rope,chain and fittings marine related is 'Holy f*ck, what fuckwit would pay that price for such sh*t quality?'. And I would stand in the dock at a High Court and swear that is a true statement but only as it's easily proved. Super Cheap is the worse of the lot.

Besides marine places are unlikely to sell these slings, probably knot Repco either thinking about it.

If you want a web strap like Willows idea PM me a length you need and I'll sort it for you for a lot less than Repco will rip you. And you don't get a colour choice if you go that way as they are colour coded to the loads they can carry, it's a AUSNZ Standard thing. A 2 tonner is Green, a 3t is Yellow and they have a 6:1 safety margin which means a 2t rated will bust knot below 12t so I suppose you could use a 1t rated which will break above 6t and be purple.

That is a cunning plan of Willows. I've been quite impressed for the last 2 days when thinking about that.

PM coming up KM!

Just as an aside - I took a little trip to Repco. Didn't find anything appropriate for jackstays, but did come across some fluoro lights of exactly the same spec as my parner just bought from Burnsco. Burnsco = $70 each. Repco = $45 each. Hmmm.

Archived