Mobile plans etc - I don't get it

Zoe

This whole issue just confuses me. I know I'm paying way too much but everytime I start looking I get stumped and don't know what to do.

I am a low user of voicecalls (not enough cell coverage at home to make calls anyway) but text quite a bit and would like to be able to get my laptop online through my cellphone from time to time (but not a priority if it will cost a lot). Not concerned about getting email or internet on my phone itself.

What is a good company and plan? The new TelstraClear deal looks really good but then if you sign up and it's a dud, you're stuck with them for two years.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as always!

I think you'll find that the goal posts will change over the next few years. With a couple of new providers, and the market not really getting substantially bigger, prices must surely fall.

That being the case - go prepary or month by month. The new Orocon deal looks interesting - you'll be able to tinker with what services you want. I guess the other question for you in particular is which company has the best coverage where you live or who might be installing new infrastructure in Tits in the near future.

(signed up a new iphone deal with Vodafone 6 months ago - not that impressed with the deal - the iphone is great though!)

You can't go month by month with Vodafone or Telecom - it's prepay or nothing. You have to sign up for a 12+ month contract if you change plans.

Forget cell ph connection to internet. It's really expensive. Why I don't know. I can not see why it should be any different than a Tstick connection.

We have a Telecom contract for our cell ph that has no monthly charge. The Phone is free. We pay I think it is 80c/min if I call, but I never, or very rarely ever make calls. it is for people to call me. Txt is 20c and I only use that when I have to also. If you are thinking lots and lots of txts, then this plan would not be suitable. But if it is a txt every now and then, this plan could be a good choice.

I tell them to get stuff with contracts so aren't on any. Doesn't affect pricing. Same with our EFTPOS's, told them to jamb to contracts into a dark smelly place as well.

I was sussing an other mbl phone last week (to try and get around the wanking going on between all the telcos at our expense) and totally agree all the published pricing is pure bollix in both the way it's done and actual cost. And no point in ringing for clarification, from what I can tell all the NZ Telecos don't actually have any phones. Or maybe they all share to one used by the Scottish fly fisho somewhere in the Sth Island, assuming that just wasn't added computer graphics.

ok here is one that is pissing me off. I sign up to vodafone for a new iphone plan. my old blackberry works fine at my house and you would assume that a brand new iphone would work well. I can't take or make a phone call now without going outside. I've sent it back to vodafone who say nothing wrong with phone. They won't offer another phone on this plan, so I'm stuck with a handset that won't work in my office and a 24 month contract.

Honestly this is just a joke. Apple = hollow promises and hype. I'm over it; dropped calls with clients, and just getting voice mails in my office instead of phone calls is not good for business. Tried phoning apple and got given the tech spin around the block - like have you charged your phone - of course!! Have you got the sim card in it - of course I have! Honestly they think I am a complete idiot!!

GRRRRRRRRR

southernman - iPhone 3Gs?

If so, there's a darn good reason why it doesn't work.

That aside, take it back and get a refund under CGA, as it's not fit for the purpose for which it was purchased.

I am starting to think that all the telcos are making a very big mistake with the 3G system in NZ. They are all going for the 2100Mhz system. That is fine in flat kland countries. No good in NZ. Direct line of sight is all 2100 is good for.

Vodaphone have a 900Mhz 3G freq as well as the 2100.

Southernman, the iPhone is 3G. I have no idea if the iPhone will work on a 900Mhz freq, but it is 3G and could be worth asking if it will. That will tend to bend around the corners slightly and will give a better coverage than the 2100 system does.

We have nearly zilch coverage at our house in Titirangi which as you all know is the end of the earth. That makes changing providers hard because we don't know if they will work. I bought a 2 degrees card but it didn't work here.

At our last house we had just enough Vodafone coverage but no Telecom. Our neighbours 30m away had Telecom but no Vodafone.

Southernman - is your new iphone an older 3GS or the new iphone4?

The 3GS only works on 2100MHz or 850Mhz. 2100MHz is only useful for dense urban areas where there is direct line of sight. Vodafone doesn't support 850Mhz, only 900Mhz and hence it is as useful as t*ts on a bull. The iphone4 is quad band so it supports Vodafones 900Mhz 3G coverage.

If it's a 3GS take it back under the consumer guarantees act i.e. not fit for purpose.

Guest Dry Reach
ok here is one that is pissing me off. I sign up to vodafone for a new iphone plan. my old blackberry works fine at my house and you would assume that a brand new iphone would work well. I can't take or make a phone call now without going outside. I've sent it back to vodafone who say nothing wrong with phone. They won't offer another phone on this plan, so I'm stuck with a handset that won't work in my office and a 24 month contract.

Honestly this is just a joke. Apple = hollow promises and hype. I'm over it; dropped calls with clients, and just getting voice mails in my office instead of phone calls is not good for business. Tried phoning apple and got given the tech spin around the block - like have you charged your phone - of course!! Have you got the sim card in it - of course I have! Honestly they think I am a complete idiot!!

GRRRRRRRRR

One silly question...

What is wrong with your home phone and the cheaper call rates you get with that?

What are people doing using a mobile phones for local and national calls while at home :crazy:

the world has gone techno Mad! :wtf:

Get over your mobile Phones! You are getting ripped off.

So what is the big reason the iphone 3gs does not work? Vodafone don't seem to know! Operator error or just dam right lies from Apple peddling a product that does not work?

Farrari has explained why. Vodafone 3G is delivered via 2100MHz and 900MHz ('3G Extended' in Vodafone vernacular), with the iPhone not supporting 900MHz except in the latest iteration.

Lower frequencies have greater penetration due to their physical properties hence 900MHz works much better in places such as New Zealand with diverse topography.

Since the iPhone 4 isn't officially available until 30th July, I'm guessing you have the legacy model.

Archived