Mobile plans etc - I don't get it

Zoe

Have you ever used one?

We have, and found them very reasonable, as do many of our clients, especially as creating bespoke apps for them is very straightforward due to the APIs and development environment supplied by Apple.

I'm also surprised that anyone would be surprised that a first generation green field product would have issues. Common sense should deal to that.

Overall there are things they could do better, but there's a reason the smartphone environment is as advanced as it is, and that is the iPhone.

My iPhone 3G seems slightly more reliable than some friends with 3Gs.

I'm still undecided whether to splash on the new iPhone 4 here in the UK and bring it back to NZ... or wait for the NZ release. Any hint on the likely NZ price and release date from anyone?

Finally, I'ev also noticed that the hippest, youngest dudes seem to shun the iPhone but use Blackberries instead - a big drawcard being that all Blackberry users cna use free chat between them. Which is basically like totally free texting from one person to another wherever you are in the world. And they can do group chat as well, all for free. A clever design feature by Blackberry and a real drawcard for the purchasing power of 'yoof'.

The iPhone 4 is out Friday and is $1099.

The benefit to buying iPhones in New Zealand is that they're not locked to one network, as they are in most other countries. The downside is that they're wearing NZ sized price tags.

There seems to be plenty of info on the web about unlocking iphone 3.

I think this type of device may be the future of navigation for me.For coastal navigation.Its got GPS and a compass.You can load it with free charts.And if you have a connection you can google earth your next anchorage.

There seems to be plenty of info on the web about unlocking iphone 3.

I think this type of device may be the future of navigation for me.For coastal navigation.Its got GPS and a compass.You can load it with free charts.And if you have a connection you can google earth your next anchorage.

Maybe a "nice to have" but the "future"? We've got people driving into Bean Rock and Rangitoto and they're relying on purpose built marine GPS navigation systems. I can't rely on my phone to deliver a text or make a call. I'd be unwilling to count on it for anything much more serious than that.

Maybe some of the people hit rocks because they are continuously looking at their nav screen.It would suit me because I would look at it for a few minutes every half hour or so.Then it could be stowed safely in a pocket.And the intermittent use would give long battery life.And of course you realise sending a text has nothing to do with viewing charts and GPS if it is unlocked.I hear that if you have a locked iphone and dont pay THEM they can turn off many of the functions.But I havent seen a list of what THEY can turn off.

Guest Dry Reach
Have you ever used one?

We have, and found them very reasonable, as do many of our clients, especially as creating bespoke apps for them is very straightforward due to the APIs and development environment supplied by Apple.

I'm also surprised that anyone would be surprised that a first generation green field product would have issues. Common sense should deal to that.

Overall there are things they could do better, but there's a reason the smartphone environment is as advanced as it is, and that is the iPhone.

For people in your position they may well be usefull.

But most of the people i see with them are only useing them for 1-2 Apps and own them so they can say... "i got one too!"

For a grand + they have nothing to offer me that my laptop and XT card and my cheap sony mobile cant do!

and most of the Apps on most electronic devices are never used. for example - i for one have not used MS word for years because everything i do is on templates.

Just like the IPad. Christ i would rather read a book than dick around with a electronic device that uses a enviromentally poor power device (battery), is fragile, will be out dated in 2 minutes and can break down and cost the earth.

None of my books have ever broken down.

these things are like womans fashion and we all know how much is wasted in that feild with woman wasting $$$'s to keep up with the girl next door!

A world full of followers and the blind leading the blind.... while some corporate profits from it.

these corporates have sucked the public into a never ending spiral of "tip filling" junk!... and what for???.... so you can talk to some one without standing next to them" :crazy:

Just add up the money you all have wasted, in the last 15 years, on elctronic comm's / media, technology... that has been superceded in 12 months......

Phones

Ipods

computers

GPS's

MP3 players....

If you had ignored the technology and saved your money you would be cruising around the Gulf in a very flash yacht.

Do the maths!

P.S - You will not die and your left testie will not fall off if you do'nt have a I PAd!!.... but you may well have more time for your "life"... or the time of your life!

and better vision :wtf:

Just add up the money you all have wasted, in the last 15 years, on elctronic comm's / media, technology... that has been superceded in 12 months......

Phones

Ipods

computers

GPS's

MP3 players....

Less than $700... All in one, called an iPhone... :thumbup: :clap:

I no longer own a computer, GPS or other MP3 player...

Guest Dry Reach

Phones

Ipods

computers

GPS's

MP3 players....

Less than $700... All in one, called an iPhone... :thumbup: :clap:

I no longer own a computer, GPS or other MP3 player...

mental Note!... never go sailing with Benny14 and is Iphone GPS... and its dodgy arial! :lol:

i bet you have a laptop, a mp3 and all the other stuff floating around somewhere! and i bet you did not make the Iphone your first jump into the technology race!

but don't let the truth get in the way of a funny post! :crazy:

Smartphones were all go before the iPh appeared. I would be thinking it's likely the original and driving force for the iPh was probably that Apple powered Motorola........ until Mr Jobbies packed a sad with them.

It'll all be irrelevant in year or twos times anyway. There will be a new must have gadget that can occasionally ring someone. The way Google is going it's likely to be one related to them somewhere.... for a few years until someone else has the 'must have'.

It's knot about technology these days it's all about whose marketing dept can create the best 'Fad of the moment'. Knot long ago when talking phones that was Motorola, then the Blackberry, now the iPh. Next week maybe Android running on ???. And the change in 'Fad of the week' will only accelerate as the dumbing down of the worlds population ticks on.

Very direct as always DR but you are spot on. Of course if people want to have the latest toy and not use all of its' features then there's no sin in that. My work mobile is a Blackberry and due to the changing world and customer expectations I couldn't do without it. But my own mobile? It's turned on so people can call me or text me and vice versa. It has a camera but only because I couldnt get one without. Every year Telecom try to get me to change to a new wizzo model but nothing tempts me yet. In due course I'll have to change as CDMA has round 18 months to run, but I'll worry about it then.

Keeping life simple has become an interesting challenge. I constantly have "the talk" with friends and family about what really is important. The latest phone is not one of them.

Guest Dry Reach
Very direct as always DR but you are spot on. Of course if people want to have the latest toy and not use all of its' features then there's no sin in that. My work mobile is a Blackberry and due to the changing world and customer expectations I couldn't do without it. But my own mobile? It's turned on so people can call me or text me and vice versa. It has a camera but only because I couldnt get one without. Every year Telecom try to get me to change to a new wizzo model but nothing tempts me yet. In due course I'll have to change as CDMA has round 18 months to run, but I'll worry about it then.

Keeping life simple has become an interesting challenge. I constantly have "the talk" with friends and family about what really is important. The latest phone is not one of them.

:thumbup: and it is actually not the phone, as such, that is the problem, Just like it is not the computer... it's the time they waste and the postural issues people are suffering useing these furken useless peices of kit!

whats more,'s it gone insane in the road digging business with diggers.!

the other day i walked past a coned of hole (down my street) in the road that was about 8'x 4'. within the cones were 5 men and two diggers.... yes two freaken diggers! :wtf: :roll:

I figured the five men could have dug that hole in 2-3 hours!...

but no!... they took 2 days to dig the furken hole!

1 hour to lay the cones and "sign" the road off.

2 hours to deliver and unload the diggers.

Smoko!

Then one digger broke up the thin layer of tarmac... (1 hour)... while 4 guys watched

then the 2nd digger started digging then went thru the Gas MAin!...panic!

Gas co came out and spent the rest of the day fixing the gas pipe!

Next day...

Finished digging hole...!

And guess who pays for this fiasco!

and now i know why our rates and our roads are si expensive!

DR you're a classic! Thread drift alert! We've moved from mobile phone plans to digging up the road - I'm sure there's a link somwhere! :thumbup:

Actually, the thing about mobile phone plans is that they aren't - a plan that is. A quick look online at the definition of a plan reveals "Written account of intended future course of action (scheme) aimed at achieving specific goal(s) or objective(s) within a specific timeframe. It explains in detail what needs to be done, when, how, and by whom, and often includes best case, expected case, and worst case scenarios. See also planning."

So, in other words a plan clarifies expected deliverables. Does anybody have any freakin' idea what will happen when they get a new mobile phone (device) plan? I DON'T THINK SO!

Guest Dry Reach

AA, are you driftin off my drift,

Mob phone plans are not plans!

they are supply agreements where the supplier is taking your money to provide equipment (phone) and a service! (line usage...)

but the problem is there are no measures on their part that hold them accoutable for anything that may go wrong with their "equipment" and Service!... other than the weak and pissant CGA!

Its a lot like the Electricity cartels (yes i am driftin of your drift of my drift) supply agreements that still charge (under the fixed line charge) you for your 20 year old meter (at the full rate) even though it depreciated in value 10 years ago!.

then when something goes wrong they pull out the book of 11billion excuses as to why it is your fault and should Cough up! :crazy:

Get my drift? :think: :crazy: :crazy:

DR you're a classic! Thread drift alert! We've moved from mobile phone plans to digging up the road - I'm sure there's a link somwhere! :thumbup:

The link is.....

You missed that the digger dug up the telecom cable ..... thus mobile phones come in handy. :lol: :lol:

Guest Dry Reach

The link is.....

You missed that the digger dug up the telecom cable ..... thus mobile phones come in handy. :lol: :lol:

no! they were Chorus workers looking for the telco cable.... thus the 8'x4' hole! :roll: :idea:

mental Note!... never go sailing with Benny14 and is Iphone GPS... and its dodgy arial! :lol:

i bet you have a laptop, a mp3 and all the other stuff floating around somewhere! and i bet you did not make the Iphone your first jump into the technology race!

Nope. I never had an iPod or other MP3 player until I got my iPhone in Feb this year. Had a desktop computer at uni and gave it to my parents (as they brought it for me) when I finished uni 2 1/2 years ago as I didn't need it anymore... Have not had a computer since apart from work computers. I had a laptop with my last job which I no longer have with this new job and don't intend on getting one. I don't intend on using my iPhone as a GPS for sailing (yet, I'm sure you will be quite able to one day...), but it is great for car navigation, the TomTom app for them is great! And cheaper than a TomTom from the shop! Also, uses Google Maps for nothing which is almost as good as a TomTom.

I think technology is immensley helpful and I use my iPhone a lot for my job, being able to check emails when away on site without needing to drag out a laptop when you don't need it for anything else is very useful. The phone part is also the part of it that i use the most! Hence why I am interested in what southernman finds out about them.

Oh, and your digger thing, I think that is more to do with Health and Safety Regs than technology! Those guys probably aren't allowed to dig that hole in case they hurt their backs and end up on ACC! That, I don't agree with, the H&S industry is out of control in NZ!

Still nobody can tell me who to go to for the best deal. Hmmm.

I don't think you will be able to find that anywhere Zoe, they are all as bad as each other. When I brought my iPhone 6 months ago I looked around for a long time and none seemed better than the others. I think Telecom may have a slight edge in some places (often slightly cheaper) but do you want to risk that network? 2degrees is cheaper but the coverage is going to be pretty terrible for the next while until they get enough repeaters around the place.

Archived