Sewerage Treatment Systems

Hi All,

We're going to be living aboard soon and i'm looking at how we are going to handle our waste, We'll be on piles at the Whangarei town basin, The pumpout is down the river a bit so I've been looking at a treatment system so we can direct discharge.

Is anyone aware a suitable system for a recreational boat that is approved for use in NZ/Northland? I know the act refers to some sections internationally with lists but it's a big list! Looking something thats supported by someone in NZ

Cheers!

Purisan did a system - I know of at least one boat in Northland using it. Will try and get the spec.

BTW

http://www.nrc.govt.nz/Maritime/Our-marine-environment/Marine-pollution/

Rules for mooring areas

Under Northland rules, it's illegal to stay overnight in a mooring area – even at anchor – without a proper way of treating or containing your boat's sewage. This means having:

• a well-maintained treatment system that complies with the Marine Pollution Regulations; or
  • an appropriate sewage containment system like a holding tank or 'porta-potty'.

After a maximum of five nights' stay (not necessarily consecutive) in a mooring area, sewage in a boat's containment system must be appropriately discharged – that is, at a pump-out station or well outside of any harbour in an area where sewage can legally be discharged at sea).

Though all of Northland's harbours are strictly 'no discharge' areas, these additional rules for mooring areas help us keep our harbours free of sewage.

Grade B

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1998/0208/latest/DLM253786.html

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1998/0208/latest/DLM254524.html

I have the option for an Airhead dealership. I'm Considering it, and bringing some in on spec. Probably decide this week. If I could get fixed orders for a few, it would make the decision easier. Pm me if you are interested.

Hmm not sure if I can get a composting head past the other half, Ive been looking around and it looks like even treated waste can be an issue places so I'm back to looking at a holding tank.

Thinking about how I can transfer the waste from the below water line holding tank to a portable tank I can just take on the dinghy to the pump out. Biggest issue so far is dealing with the transfer from one tank to another and then disconnecting the hose without spilling any residual waste

How about a porta loo with a couple of spare cassettes for those long rainy weeks? One of the bonuses out of the motorhome industry these days, are some mighty flash loos with all the spare bits. Something to consider maybe?

Viewed objectively there is nothing more absurd than the usual sea-going toilet of the modern production yacht. What expense and engineering, what a profligate use of space and materials, what a baroque concoction of pipes and valves and pumps and skin fittings, what a sop to over-developed human sensitivities, all for the purpose of transferring a small amount of matter a distance of about twelve inches, from here on the inside of the hull, to there on the outside of the hull.

-- From Mingming and the Art of Minimal Ocean Sailing by Roger D. Taylor

Yeah i think so but for the other half and the kid it needs to be as simple as a single button press like the normal loo at home. The pee/poop split shoot and augur along with the coffee filter inserts will be missed at 2am.

If those could be solved then I'd be in like flynn but for now it's looking like tank transfer and a trip to the pump out

actually the composting heads are not so bad. if you wet the bowl with a water spray bottle, there is no reason to use the "coffee filter". There is only the lever to press for number 2's - urine will go to the bottle without doing anything. Then crank the handle to "flush".

This video might help;

• Upvote 1

I like the composting one because it is cleaner and simpler. Maybe explain that to the family. How many times does one have to spend a beautiful day anchored in paradise disassembling a bloody toilet to think that there has to be a better way.

my wife hates the old one as much as I do.

I'll tip the urine overboard if out, and in the marina toilet if in a marina. "Solid" waste in a composting bag in the rubbish skip or on the gardens. It really does look like soil, and has no smell.