FT10 bow shape

TimB

Has anyone else noticed the bow shape on the photo of the FT10 on the Crew home page.

If I knew how to I would paste a copy of the photo here... :(

It looks like it has hollows either side of the stem and would be slow IMO? Makes the inital bow angle narrow but gets very wide (angle) after the hollow. How is that fast?

I would have thought that a narrow-fine entry bow would have very little wave making effect (not push water) and be less effected by chop (especially with light displacement)

but I'm not a boat designer

Yes that is true, but that also reduces efective waterline length as the waterline length is the distance between the bow wave and the quarter wake.

To be honest I never understood the theory behind those reversed waterlines. I saw lees resistance a tthe bow but increased reisitance further aft as they need to come back out. Better a narrower w/l beam and straight waterlines, but I also am not a designer, would love to hear an aithoritative comment. I'll email Kevin Dibley and see if he has time to reply.

Interesting discussion.

Yachts with plumb bows usually have a little bit of hollow in the forward waterlines, which sometimes can't be avoided otherwise the diagonals become quite a bit fuller. (You have to remember that we are dealing with 'heeeled waterlines' as opposed to Static)

Quite rare for yachts with bow angle, to have any hollow.

Other designers may argue, but in this office we try to keep them as straight as possible.

With the photo, I would say it is more a trick of light. You don't see big hollows in Bob Perry designs usually.

I was wondering if there was some photo angle/light tricks as well. When I saw the boat, knot that close though, there didn't seem to be any hollow jumping out at ya.

Yeah I'm with you there. Carbon was just awesome. Coming through Colville Channel on the front edge of a gale, I've never had so much fun in my life while totally shitting myself at the same time!

I find myself wishing that somehow I'd found the money... Oh well Ce la Vie :cry:

Yeah I'm with you there. Carbon was just awesome. Coming through Colville Channel on the front edge of a gale, I've never had so much fun in my life while totally shitting myself at the same time!

I find myself wishing that somehow I'd found the money... Oh well Ce la Vie :cry:

Keep buying those Lotto's.... I know I am :)

I thought all yacht designers were rich????

:lol: Rich in character...... poor in cash flow...

The only Rich ones I know multitask with other careers like Architecture....

I'm sure glad I love my job.... otherwise I'd be out there looking for a real job :crazy:

Archived