121 replies to this topic

#1 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hi , thinking of the possibility of buying a boat to bring back to NZ and later offshore again. Would need to have it registered in my name to comply with customs etc but not keen on having to later get cat one for various reasons so would prefer to register outside NZ. Would still need to pay duty and GST to come here. So far Jersey seems a possibility for a commonwealth/NZ citizen as owner, does anyone have any experience with this or any other possible suggestions?

#2 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

Langkawi, Vanuatu or Cook Islands are on my list. KM mentioned another i hadn't considered a while back but I can't remember it now. Langkawi are pretty much no questions asked, pay the money and you are registered. 

I'm thinking of flying over and having a bit of a holiday and coming back with a shiny new piece of paper.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#3 grantmc

grantmc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationLower Hutt

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

Keen to hear more about this if you go ahead.

Grant Mc

The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.

#4 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

thanks , seems Vanuatu is suspended at the moment but Langkawi looks possible, 300 us initially and then 100 us $ annually, I think Cook islands was more expensive. Jersey is around 410 pounds for 10 years.

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

Nigeria. The theory being it's a Commonwealth country so you get afforded some rights in other Commonwealth countries due to that.

#6 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

Nigeria definately has some unfortunate connotations around sending money there , could be worth investigating but probably wouldn,t be my first choice.

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

I'm thinking of flying over and having a bit of a holiday and coming back with a shiny new piece of paper.

If that's to renew your Vanuatu Rego you may want to read the following.

Which started with  - "However, someone might like to point out to the idiots giving incorrect information........."

And goes on to point out 2 important bits you need to know before booking air tickets.

1 - "if you want to register your yacht in Vanuatu then you will be paying ship fees which will make Cat 1 look like a bargain after a year or 2."

2 - "The domestic small ship registry is not an international registry so is no good to a vessel wishing to sail internationally."

which leads to "BP’s registration must be been one of the last of the old corrupt registration system and he will get a wee shock when re-registration time comes unless he can find another corrupt official and contribute to the moral decline of a developing country."

More info here - http://www.vanuatuma...s_Document.ASPX

To true TL, which is a reason to at least hesitate and ponder upon.

#8 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

No , I was talking about Langkawi.

#9 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

All to avoid Cat 1?

IMO Cat 1 is like a WOF for your boat. The standards and regs come from the sum of the things learnt from issues in the past, and from many more sea miles than any of us have individually.

The only real issue I have with our Cat 1 system is that it is too far behind current technology. Like LED flares, modern construction, cordage, anchors,  as well as electronics etc.

In my experience, the inspectors (bar one) were very reasonable, and would make allowances outside the letter of the rules if you had good reasons for what you had, or why the boat was like it was. Many people have been frightened off even discussing requirements with local inspectors before repeating rumor and innuendo, and thereby propagating  inaccurate info.  My advice is, if you have a boat and are considering Cat 1, talk to your local inspector early, and get him involved. You will find it is not as bad as many make out. If you find you have an issue with one, try a different inspector.

Leaving and returning to NZ is the highest risk passage that many (most?) cruisers make - at least those who come to, and leave from NZ.

If you boat or yourself are not up to the Cat 1 standard, should you be going??

Oh, and finally, if your the skipper of an offshore registered boat, and you return here, Customs will want written proof of the GST status of the vessel, or you will be required to pay GST on entry to NZ.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#10 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

I spoke to a NZ inspector and was seriously underwhelmed. Or, in the vernacular, he was a narrow minded dipstick.

I have hasd a good friend who has been a pharmacist for 30 years put together a med kit for a fraction of the price of the "standard" one.

Some other things they insist on I am unconcerned about or simply don't want.

Cat 1 itself doesn't last long enough, a lot of the equipment expires way too early.

I have said document regarding GST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users