#11 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the thorough reply Mark.  :thumbup: And 'massive' is probably an exaggeration!

But we saw Begorrah down from 0.674 to 0.661. And Settlers Reach up from 0.740 to 0.750. And some others by more than 0.01

All on the basis of one very light wind race. Contrast this to the PHRF which didn't seem to change so much.

#12 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

The forecast looks awesome, cold but cracked a lot of the way around, wish all you lucky bods a good sail. Would be a good day for the old thermos of hot water into the hot  waterbottle under the jacket trick!  Does not apply to graders.

#13 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Weather looking OK. Cool but not totally fading out as was being suggested earlier in the week.

#14 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

Should be a lot of fun out there tomorrow. I'm on the Sun Fast 3600 again. Our first attempt at 2 handed in this boat so will be learning as we go.

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

And they are all off. Nice clean starts in 5-7 knots of wind and lots of sun. It's a magnificent mid winter day out there... assuming it doesn't fade away to nothing which sadly is the forecast.

Sadly one or 2 boats may have left the marina for no reason today due to not being prepared as per the very clear SI's, safety briefings and very well know SSANZ tilt towards safety. A couple were just stunned mullets when asked to show very basic safety gear. One or 2 also took longer than it takes to sink to find their safety gear.

There is no reason not to be prepared. Jacklines in bags marked 'safety gear' are only bits of webbing in a bag. Fit the bloody things to the boat and then they become jacklines.

This year we asked to see jacklines FITTED, 2 lifejackets, 2 harness's, 2 torches, at least horseshoe complete with drogue, whistle and light, plus the odd other random item.

Generally most were perfect but one or 2 weren't. Also it was commented some of the torches, while perfectly fine for sussing ropes on the cockpit floor, wouldn't be much use if you wanted to see more than a few meters. Maybe have a think about what you will use a torch for and get one with the grunt to suit.

The checking will happen again next race and we pick boats totaly at random...except Anarchy as we just wanted a closer suss sorry lads (and they were better prepared than most as a FYI). Will you be the random that gets picked next race? Will you be ready?

#16 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

Is Facebook counted as outside assistance?

#17 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Needs to be available to everyone, so if you were un-friended it would be outside assistance. It would also have to not be specific info for a boat or group of boats, I.e. It would need to be 'general info'.

#18 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Why?

#19 RushMan

RushMan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

I was looking at various posts from today.

In one photo it showed slow going, in the other there was a reef in so a suggestion of a change in breeze.

Such information in the hands of someone smarter than I, might be useful.

#20 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Sounds more like a handicap than anything, if your racing and looking at Facebook instead of your sails and wind on the water. If it's a publicly available page it's no different to the now casting, which would be much greater advantage to anyone monitoring that in the situation of significant changes in wind condition. Private messages from one boat to another or an exclusive group of boats about changes in conditions would be outside assistance though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users