Keeping the Opti Fleet alive in the Islands

smithy09

Maybe this should go in Dinghy talk, but it is good general interest as well so here goes:

A year or so back, (maybe longer) I read an article in NZ Boating about an Opti fleet, I think in Tonga, that relied on donated gear to keep it afloat, and train local kids on how to sail.

Seeing the number of barely used sails that opti kids "disgard" to be sold with the boat and probably never used again, I have been keen for some time to do a collection of Old Opti gear and get it sent to these guys. The touble is, I have mislaid the magazine and can't find the article.

Does anyone remember who was co-ordinating this effort? I am pretty sure it was NZ based and they regularly sent kit up to them.

If anyone could scan and post the article on here I would appreciate it. Cheers, Smithy.

Yeah it was a good article.

I'm sure that a quick email around the clubs and opti parents could collect quite a bit of gear, as the Opti open fleet in NZ is extremely performance driven, and a lot of old gear just gets put to one side..

Oh, come on Smithy!! You don't want someone to make a profit from old NZ sailing gear. Next thing they'll be painting on the centreboards and selling them for profit as art!!!! There's no way I'd ever send any of my hoard of old Opti bits and pieces, they're far too valuable to be given away and used by somebody for something :roll:

Oh, come on Smithy!! You don't want someone to make a profit from old NZ sailing gear. Next thing they'll be painting on the centreboards and selling them for profit as art!!!! There's no way I'd ever send any of my hoard of old Opti bits and pieces, they're far too valuable to be given away and used by somebody for something :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear where you are coming from Grinna!

Pretty sure it was all non profit. Ya never know where the next Dean Barker is coming from.. Maybe Tonga!!

Actually I'm pretty sure it was Rarotonga. I've got a feeling our club did something for them.

Would you have any contact details BM? Which club is that?

Cheers, Smithy.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was Rarotonga. I've got a feeling our club did something for them.

Would you have any contact details BM? Which club is that?

Cheers, Smithy.

PM'd you with contacted details for rarotonga

Guest Dry Reach

:crazy: sending gear to some poorer nation to benefit poor people into sailing is not like giving it to some person to destroy in the name of art and profit. :crazy:

but obviously you thinks they are the same thing.

also how many donations of gear did HH get on her post request?

not much!... which one could presume shows that more people agreed with me than gave their old gear away.

Hope you have delivered you centre board to HH!.... yeah right!

all Talk! :crazy:

finally, don't you think Tongans, samoans, and rarotongans in NZ could do with some sailing gear here? to get them out sailing and find the next "real winner sailor" (like Ben Ainslie) or is that to "close to home" for you pakeha's to have some interest in promoting sailing to local polynesians.?

after all... most of the sails you send to Rarotonga end up being Sunshades!

Guest Dry Reach

:lol: me thinks you are best to say nought when you are "hoisted on your own petard!"

Smithy09: quote...

??? do i send my sails and boat gear to Rarotonga or HH's arty aunty?... a bit of a dilemma / quandary there for you Smithy09

art? sailors? art? sailors ?

it appears thatb you are now agreeing with me and sending your kit to sailoers rather than Aunty Arty

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There are kids at French Bay Yacht Club in TItirangi who would LOVE your cast offs. Mainly optis and starlings. There is one boy who has been hanging around for at least a year while he saves up for a boat. If you have something (even a good cheap but sailable boat) please contact me!

Guest Dry Reach
There are kids at French Bay Yacht Club in TItirangi who would LOVE your cast offs. Mainly optis and starlings. There is one boy who has been hanging around for at least a year while he saves up for a boat. If you have something (even a good cheap but sailable boat) please contact me!

now there's a great cause!

where do we send donations to?

Hi Zoe. I have a couple of sails that are usable, but that's about all. I just had that article in my head for a long time, and was thinking that if I went around the opti fleet, I could probably get quite a bit of decent used gear together.

The kid who is saving up for a boat... What is he after? Learn to sail quality or race quality? I could do a quick email around and see what is out there if it is just LTS stuff he wants. If it is race quality he will have to keep saving. Let me know, probably PM is best, as DR will hijack this quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

Cheers, Smithy.

Guest Dry Reach

Hi Zoe. I have a couple of sails that are usable, but that's about all. I just had that article in my head for a long time, and was thinking that if I went around the opti fleet, I could probably get quite a bit of decent used gear together.

The kid who is saving up for a boat... What is he after? Learn to sail quality or race quality? I could do a quick email around and see what is out there if it is just LTS stuff he wants. If it is race quality he will have to keep saving. Let me know, probably PM is best, as DR will hijack this quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

Cheers, Smithy.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: what is it with you and the word Hi Jack?

any thread is open to anyone! or is there a :wtf: "CLIQUE" and priority listing to get on certain threads?

Get a life smithy09. you can hijack my threads whenever you like! i am not that precious! 8)

p.s. :shh: i thought those sails were going to Rarotonga? after they were heading for HH's Aunty Arty :roll: :lol: :lol:

Well.... If you are looking for a cheap LTS oppy, we have one sitting downstairs. It has been proven to be a very fast boat, almost capable of beating the glass boats... back in it's time anyway.

Unfortunately, the plank that goes across to hold the mast has been twisting enough to put a crack down both sides of the hull that really needs to be fixed. We had a builder look at it, but the job was worth a lot more than what was paid for the boat.

The other issue was that the beach trolly broke and got chucked, so the boat has been sitting on the concrete...

She would make a good cheap boat for someone with the few skills needed to fix her up.

Archived