Boat painting costs

What have people paid for recent boat paint jobs. Are there any recommendations for a good boat painter...has anyone had a good roller job done that gets close to a spray job and is it much cheaper? I am interested in getting a 42 fter resprayed. Looks like it will will be well in excess of $20,000.

Apparently my boat has an Altex primer that was used about 10 years ago which has an adhesion problem.

Bummer, mine has that paint issue as well.

I got some numbers to paint my 930 top of cabin to bottom of the keel, which included dealing with that sh*t paint problem. $20-25K if she arrived already stripped with no windows in. The windows are being replaced so I said I'd rip them out 1st to make it easier for the painters.

And as a bonus - plus GST :?

Speak to Crews resident rambler Dry Reach. I spoke to him about that paint problem and he reckons there is a reasonable easy fix. As strange as it may seem he did actually make a lot of sense. He does seem to know that game very very well, which included the whys and hows that paint issue came about.

I ended up short cutting and doing the bum only at this stage. Used Boat Spray in 1/2 Moon Bay. I can't say anything bad about them, they were bloody good.

You have to be kidding. It cost $7K for us to have the Hull painted on ours. Including the paint and the job was excellent. They had it all sanded and repainted in 6 days.

The other two yards are often rip off stories. Interestingly, one is closing due to no work, the other is struggling to pay the bills and has a very quite yard and the guys that painted mine are busy and heavely booked for the year.

$47K to paint the Deck, that is just nuts. Man, I should take up boat painting. But then, I also want to sleep at night.

We re-did our topsides using a two pot paint. Don't know the exact cost as the owner sorted that out but for a 37fter can't have been more than a couple of grand all up -

but, we sanded everything back ourselves, preped it and did the undercoats, then got a pro in to do the two pot top coat bit.

Did it outside with the mast up which helps hugely on costs but obviously getting the weather just right is important (not too cold, no direct sun etc etc). Then got a sign writer to do a racing stripe and name - all up a very good finish.

any contacts/names pm'd would be appreciated....I still think the roller option would get a great result if you could find someone with expertise

Yep, I'll second what Fish said. I've seen the finish on their boat and it looks bloody awesome for a roller and brush job. You almost can't tell the difference between theirs and a spray job. Did you guys use Perfection Fish? Still looking bloody awesome a couple of years later too. Of course it helps that now they avoid rampant Challenge 29's. :shock:

I also saw a cockpit re-paint on a Lote-arse 9.2 using Perfection and it looked fantastic. It was done by a pro. Couldn't tell it hadn't been sprayed.

Ummm, I can't remember if I put a detailed expalnation in Tech about how to Roller/brush. If it's not there, let me know and I will put it in. It is easy and yes you can achieve a Spray type finish. It's just a little slower is all.

Auckland prices are double what you will pay out of the region

I know of a 37ft that was sailed to Tauranga and left on a marina berth for the painter to strip everything remove the rig put in shed paint the return ready to sail away for less than the cheapest option in akl with them doing all the prep

But I have done some small jobs with a roller and been really impressed.

Fish it sounds like you did all the real work yourselves and the painter just took the glory

I'll have to check with the owner (Mr Fish) on the details - I'm just the grunt that hangs onto the power sander :lol:

Yes Danaide, we have a policy of doing everything ourselves accept for the little bits where it matters if we stuff it up - yachting is expensive enough without paying other to do manual labour - Apparently Manual Labour isn't the name of a Mexican footballer :lol: :lol:

And yes AA, its amazing how conservative your starts become with a new paint job...

There is a chap down at Okahu Bay, doing/done the 727 and a couple of others down there at the moment. Does an awesome job at a good price according to the bloke who recommended him to me. Never actually got the boat painted so sorry i cant remeber his name, but he lives on one of the classic bridge deckers.

Guest Dry Reach

check out the lads at pine harbour. they used to be bloody good and reasonable prices.

see Tech talk. i inserted a good link to how to roll a urethane. (with pictures)

as for the Altex primer issue. KM and IDM28, that was not a paint adhesion issue but a SAnding / cleaning (dust / moisture / waxing) / exceeding max recoat time / and low film build (solvent bite) issue due to poor Application / cleaning... problems associated with Aucklands warmer/humid conditions and poor managment of painting process / work.

thousands of litres of "that" product was applied to many many boats and only a few (from certain applicators) had issues. International had a similar problem with their perfection Undercoat for the same reasons.

Did either of you bail up the applicator or Paint company?.

sorry IDM28 / KM if that was a thread hi jack :crazy:

Guest Dry Reach

check out the lads at pine harbour. they used to be bloody good and reasonable prices.

see Tech talk. i inserted a good link to how to roll a urethane. (with pictures)

as for the Altex primer issue. KM and IDM28, that was not a paint adhesion issue but a SAnding / cleaning (dust / moisture / waxing) / exceeding max recoat time / and low film build (solvent bite) issue due to poor Application / cleaning... problems associated with Aucklands warmer/humid conditions and poor managment of painting process / work.

thousands of litres of "that" product was applied to many many boats and only a few (from certain applicators) had issues. International had a similar problem with their perfection Undercoat for the same reasons.

Did either of you bail up the applicator or Paint company?.

sorry IDM28 / KM if that was a thread hi jack :crazy:

Apparently my boat has an Altex primer that was used about 10 years ago which has an adhesion problem.

It was Altex #3, a creamy coloured stuff.

Absolute sh*t product.

I don't read Graeme Brown's (DR) posts but I did this time and his comments are horse sh*t.

The product did not work.

It is an Epoxy formulated primer and cannot be overcoated with the Altex formulated Urethane undercoat.

Some Facts.

When I worked at Cooksons we did two boats with it and they both had problems. Altex stood behind their product and paid for the labour and product to repair.

My boat, exodus and Frantic all used Altex #3.

All have exactly the same problem, after 6-8 years the topcoat starts flaking off in big sheets.

On mine I sanded off all the old #3.

There are a few very small areas I missed, since the repaint the Interprotect has fallen off the little bits of #3 I missed.

Because it is so old now nothing will stick to it.

You can even key the surface with a grinder and nothing will stick.

I know this because I spent 3 years sanding the crap off.

Because of this experience and other people having exactly the same problem I refuse to ever use Altex paint again.

I also tried Altex #5 antifoul and I found it was pure crap that didn't work.

Back to your problem, I can only honestly recommend you need to get rid of all the old Altex #3 before starting over with a good system.

Guest Dry Reach

It was Altex #3, a creamy coloured stuff.

Absolute sh*t product.

I don't read Graeme Brown's (DR) posts but I did this time and his comments are horse sh*t.

The product did not work.

It is an Epoxy formulated primer and cannot be overcoated with the Altex formulated Urethane undercoat.

Some Facts.

When I worked at Cooksons we did two boats with it and they both had problems. Altex stood behind their product and paid for the labour and product to repair.

My boat, exodus and Frantic all used Altex #3.

All have exactly the same problem, after 6-8 years the topcoat starts flaking off in big sheets.

On mine I sanded off all the old #3.

There are a few very small areas I missed, since the repaint the Interprotect has fallen off the little bits of #3 I missed.

Because it is so old now nothing will stick to it.

You can even key the surface with a grinder and nothing will stick.

I know this because I spent 3 years sanding the crap off.

Because of this experience and other people having exactly the same problem I refuse to ever use Altex paint again.

I also tried Altex #5 antifoul and I found it was pure crap that didn't work.

Back to your problem, I can only honestly recommend you need to get rid of all the old Altex #3 before starting over with a good system.

And there in lies a major part of the problem. :roll:

Read the post of Mr Wolfs again and you will see that his emotional outburst with regards to "grinders , "can't remove it"... is a reflection of his ability, and his technique, rather than the products performance.

If the product was faulty then why did so many boats that were painted with it and overcoated with the Altex Urethane not "FAIL" or "PEEL off"

also ! why did the product stick in some areas and not in others? ... thats not a paint problem but a sanding / cleaning problem or topcoating issue!

mr Wolf, with all respect, when a Batch of paint is bad the whole batch is bad. Not just one or two boats worth. It appears from your comment that the product was ok but certain apllication issues made it difficult to work with (Max recoat, ease of dust removeal...)

Mr Wolf, the tone of the comments above show me that you probably stuffed up and are looking for someone to blame.

But hey if you don't believe me then get the company to investigate your problem or even better get a independent paint / coatings inspector to do a REPORT.

P.s. in the time Cooksons had their issue there were dozens of boats painted around Aucland at the same time with the same batch that are still in great shape today.

Say no more! :silent:

I have to agree with Mr Wolf I have had the same problem with the paint on my boat, paint pealing and coming off, good old altex primer again and used "professional" painters

If the professionals can't get it write what does that say about the product usability !

Archived