Ross 930 Masthead Jumpers

RedLine

Hi Anyone out there had their rig modifed with some jumper struts and wire. So it can take a masthead Genny or Kite. The mast off my new (to me!) 930 is in the rig shop being looked at. They have suggested aft swept struts. But all the 930's I've seen have flat or slightly forward swept struts. Anyone have any suggest lengths for the struts or 1/2 decent pics of this mod to the rig? My rig is a Matrix mast.

Cheers

Stuart

How about extending the side stays right to the top and adding a set of spreaders to make it into a cathedral type rig a la Thompson Boats. I'm not sure if it would work on standard 930 rigs but it's real good on ours.

Capture.JPG

Hi Anyone out there had their rig modifed with some jumper struts and wire. So it can take a masthead Genny or Kite. The mast off my new (to me!) 930 is in the rig shop being looked at. They have suggested aft swept struts. But all the 930's I've seen have flat or slightly forward swept struts. Anyone have any suggest lengths for the struts or 1/2 decent pics of this mod to the rig? My rig is a Matrix mast.

Cheers

Stuart

I think the cathedral approach is the most common. Here at Hall Spars (ex Matrix Masts) I can't remember the last Ross 930 rig we did without Mast head gear on it.

Thanks for the feedback. My boat when I bought it, was a class boat with no jumpers or masthead gear, so only fractional kites can be currently used. But I am planning on changing that. The rigger has suggested a 'Cathedral type rig' but I haven't seen any other R930's setup like that. Another 930 owner I spoke to prefered the simple slightly swept forward set of jumpers, as this mean he could keep the rig tension via the main backstay, and largely didnt use the running backstays anymore. I guess I was after some basic dimensions for the more simple modification.

Cheers

Stuart

Let me know how you go. I'm more than likely up for the same mod for the same reason pretty soon.

I don't use the runners that much. Knot set-up that well to use easily at the moment especially in close 1/4's combat.

Can you suss Hot Dogger? She's seems to have them set-up pretty damn good.

I would avoid cathedral style setup unless you intend to go for a big roach where your topmast backstay can't be used. Cathedral or conventional aft swept jumpers support the masthead from going fwd but have 2 disadvantages, 1st the sweep severly f***s the shape of the main when eased, especially on a boat like a 930 which has a full-lenghth top batten. The 2nd is that the jumpers slacken as the mast bends aft so give no support to the masthead upwind (lots of people will argue that is a good thing but while auto-depowering can be good at times why give it up other times when you can use the wick?)

In-line is fine for a 930, max support sideways for the shortest strut (lighter, less windage).

Forward jumpers do have the advantage of stiffening the rig against bending aft with topmast but on a noodle rig like the 930 you won't get enough extra tension into your headstay without runners and it might effect your current mainsail which will be designed to accept bending at the top of the rig, not the middle like foward jumpers will promote.

If it were my rig I would go slightly fwd or in-line on a 930 rig.

Grunta

(Grant Mckinnon, not Grant Jenkins aka Grunta and also a rigger)

Hi

thanks for the words of wisdom on Cathedral rig. I spoke to the owner of lightfoot when i was in HMB Akld last week, and he has flat jumper struts, which keep the top section quite stiff, the main backstay stops any forward motion when flying masthead kites, and he say's he largely (in light airs atleast) doesnt use the runners very much. So think I'll go the same way, and avoid the cathedral rig approach.

Cheers

Stuart

:thumbup:

Archived