Self Bailer question - Archived Thread re-posted

rigger

FFFfoiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:42 am Post subject: Self Bailer question.

I need to fit some sort of self bailer to the Trifoiler(it seems t fill up with spray etc), any ideas? I know i can purchase a new one,but would rather 2nd hand or to make one myself

Cheers Matt

========================================================================

NZL3166

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 pm

There are plenty of models of self-bailers out there which might do the job well and don't cost a whole lot.

Cheapest traditional bailers are about $100 http://www.boatcatalog.biz/prods2/3669.htm

You can also create a flap on the stern so the water can flow out (but not in). Here's a commercial product that does the trick for $5 http://www.tenob.co.nz/shop/Hull+Fittin ... +Type.html

Because the hull is out of the water, you may have a few other options that other foilers have come across - other owners may help?

The biggest issue will be the self bailer leaking - then you'll really know about discomfort! So finally - is there a way to stop the water getting in? Some sort of 'skirt' like on a kayak might do the trick.

Hope this helps and I'd love to see some pics of your trifoiler creating some of that spray!

Fusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Try a "duck bill" a piece of inflatable glued together with a round end and a flat end often seen on the back of inflatables.

Slacko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Some of the bungs can have a duckbill screwed into them rather than a bung.

The big T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Can't quite visualise what you need. A venturi needs to be in water to work - if you are on foils surely any venturi thru hull will be out of water therefore not work.

Old remedy (showing my age) was simple kitchen plastic funnels in holes in transom at water level held in by shockcord.

Simple venturi was a tube thru bottom of boat with a 45degree bevel on the bottom - longest edge forward. I suppose this could be made to reach water - when not in use retract and just cork hole.

NZL3166

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 pm

The big T wrote:

Can't quite visualise what you need. A venturi needs to be in water to work - if you are on foils surely any venturi thru hull will be out of water therefore not work.

Old remedy (showing my age) was simple kitchen plastic funnels in holes in transom at water level held in by shockcord.

Venturis also work when the hull is out of water - by letting the water simply flow out (no venturi effect - so it is less efficient - but remember - he's just getting a little spray so it would definately work fine.)

I remember the plastic funnels and think that they might work well for the trifoiler - however only if the stern is the lowest point.

A simple hole with a flap over it may do the trick - with a bung for when not in use.

Archived