Jim Young and Fiery Cross

Battleship

Great little yarn on Sailworld.

Jim Young built 'Fiery Cross' in the late 1950's after being inspired by a design from L. Francis Herreshoff in his famous book 'Common Sense of Yacht design. In this extract from his yet to be released autobiography Jim re-lives some of his experiences with 'Fiery Cross' and provides an authentic account of life as a boat builder in the 1950's. Jim Young is now 85 and resides in Takapuna.... more http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/index.cfm?SEID=2&Nid=72940&SRCID=0&ntid=118&tickeruid=0&tickerCID=0

...In this extract from his yet to be released autobiography Jim re-lives some of his experiences

Sounds like it will be a good book. Anyone taking advance orders?

Just to be clear I left out the quote marks from the sail world article none of that was my work.

I'd also be keen on that book it's gonna be a good read.

I just love this shot (also from the sailworld article) with the old school spinakker, man that thing is ugly I'll never complain about my sails again!

medres_9Fiery_Cross.jpg

Gary Underwood owns her I thought.

I raced against her in the Tall Ships race BOI in about 07...

206_0696_1.jpg

206_0695_1.jpg

she's painted white or off white now and usually to be seen at mahurangi.

I spoke to Des Townson about her and he told me about the sail he had with the keel canted,. Didn't mention anything about the balance issues that I remember ,but did say the keel mechanism was never really sorted out or finished but certainly showed some speed with it canted on that one tack.

Archived