RESCUE OF ST HELLIERS BAY

we went out for a quick one this morning got up past northern leading and put the kite up for sail back to h.m.b, just got past the barber pole and heard screaming and saw what looked like up turned jet ski, so down came the kite and main started engine an motored over to find a 8 ft dinghy upside down and 3 teens hanging on for their life's with quite a nice blue color to them, trying to pull them aboard was fun all of them with no more energy left even to speak, no life jackets and the girl was dressed up to go clubbing, and with her hand bag full of water she was bobbing in and out of the water :crazy: didn't want to let it go. with all of them on board and drying out we called the coast guard to collect the dinghy and it's crew, an within 2 mins two rescue boats were there and they took the teens back to shore

i don't think they would of lasted too much longer out there, just as well we saw them

Good job, well done. I agree. It sounds like it could have turned out very grim if you didn't come along. And a powerboater probably would never of heard them.

So I assume no lifejackets and no one new they were out there huh?

Nice job Clint d!! :clap: :clap: :clap: What were the conditions like out there? Any idea why they ended up upside down?
it was about 10-15k out going tide, no idea how it flipped maybe ferry wake
Good job, well done. I agree. It sounds like it could have turned out very grim if you didn't come along. And a powerboater probably would never of heard them.

So I assume no lifejackets and no one new they were out there huh?

yer i would say no one knew they were out

Well done Clint!. My father and I picked up a blue guy off Browns bay somewhere around this time of year maybe 15 years ago. About 4 oclock or so, no other boats out. He'd been fishing in his 10 ft tinny , a gust of wind took his cap and he'd lunged for it and flipped the boat on anchor.

Blue , weak, late in the afternoon in winter , no boats out.. he was a statistic waiting to happen.

You banked one in the karma bank today.

First of all well done!!!

Hope it's not a thread drift but how did you get them on board? I know from dinghys how hard it is the get some one on board who is exhausted, I have pulled someone out of the water in the keeler but that had a scoope and quite a good chop so just waited for a wave

First of all well done!!!

Hope it's not a thread drift but how did you get them on board? I know from dinghys how hard it is the get some one on board who is exhausted, I have pulled someone out of the water in the keeler but that had a scoope and quite a good chop so just waited for a wave

i threw them a rope at first but they couldn't grab it, so we drifted the boat onto them i lent over the side and garbed one by one lifted them over the life lines, lucky they were all light weight

Damn - I've twice pulled people out of the water and it is bloody hard to do, particularly if the are waterlogged and not helping themselves.

Well done again.

Good job.

The only occassion I ever rescued people from the tide I was fortunate that they had the strength to climb up the boarding ladder themselves, all I had to do was position the boat.

Archived