Russell Coutts Smarter Brother

AJ Oliver

Rob, that is, visited us at the Sandusky Sailing Club (Western Lake Erie) this past week. He was here for the Great Lakes laser championship on a coaching gig. Like almost all of you Kiwis, he is most gracious and unassuming, and it was a pleasure having him with us.

We still have three months left in our sailing season, and if any of you Kiwi sailors find yourselves in Gringolandia, drop by and we'll get you on a boat. As an organization that is almost entirely run by volunteers, Rob can tell you that SSC is much like some of the great sailing clubs that you have down your way.

Again, I'd like to express my gratitude for the wonderful sailing hospitality that I have been shown while visiting NZ - especially in Nelson, Napier and the Bay of Islands - so feel free to stop by. Who knows, maybe we can even steal a few of your magical sailing secrets. You are, after all, the masters of the sport.

(Needless to say, Rob's protege won the regatta here. Right now, they are on their way to Milwaukee for the Laser US nationals. We wish them luck - not that they'll need it.)

Archived