#1 Seasick sheamus

Seasick sheamus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationEssex..UK

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi Guys. As you all know I've scraped back my hull back to bare ferro and intend putting 2 coats of epoxy on the hull. A ferro owner I have spoken to says he has had real problems getting his anti foul to stick for longer than a season. He says he has owned his boat for 21 years and has tried everything. Any ideas? What can I do now to ensure my anti -foul sticks and what products have you all used? Is this why some ferro owners have chosen CC? thanks.

thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters

#2 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia & New Zealand

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

Got my Hartley Tasman out of the water on 5th July at Montys Marina in Caboolture. The damage noted by Maritime Safety Queensland - the cause of the order to haul out - is, as I suspected, totally superficial and well above the waterline. My only surprise was an unknown log sensor that had been smashed, which might have let in a small amount of water. In any case the hole for the wiring was tiny and the bilge pump wasn't constantly working so I regard this as trivial.

I'll be at the yard for the next six months doing a comprehensive scrape, repaint and replacement of some broken pushpit railing and fitment of davits. I plan to make all this out of galvanised plumbing pipe because stainless steel would be ridiculously expensive. Fortunately my nephew has access to a powder coating line at work and will be coating it all before it's installed.

If time and finances permit I'll also tidy up the inside by stripping all timber and recoating with varnish, and also reinforce the galley shelving. I'm also on the lookout for a 10hp diesel to install, replacing the 6hp outboard which is usable but not really optimum for the vessel. The mast will be coming down so I can wire it properly, replace running and standing rigging and add a wind sensor.

This is a lot of time and effort to spend on a yacht that, to all in tents and porpoises, has zero market value. OTOH I intend to circumnavigate Australia in her as my first proper trip and anything I do now will pay dividends in peace-of-mind and comfort for the next two years, so I consider it worthwhile.

Attached File  Image006.jpg   392.33KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Image007.jpg   297.55KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Image008.jpg   53.64KB   0 downloads

http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like you will have enough to do to keep you off the streets ;-)
If you get a packet of SST arc rods to weld the Galv pipe, they weld really easily to Galv and give you a rust proof weld, so no need to have to cold zinc paint them.

#4 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia & New Zealand

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

Yeah, I suspect I'll be as busy as a one-armed wallpaper hanger for the duration.

Plan to weld using either a HenRob/Cobra gas welder or a MIG. In either case I could use SS wire for the weld, so might just try it. I truly suck at stick welding so that isn't an option.

http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#5 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:28 AM

SST arc rods are the easiest and nicest thing to ever weld with. In fact, NEVER lie them down on the item you are welding, because they quite literally will weld by themselves. The finish is stunning . They can make any novice look like a pro.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ferro, anti foul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users