Hard Bimini

Oops, maybe I didn't pose that correctly. I want to get rid of the fabric, build a hard bimini (ply, foam and glass, other????) to which I will attach the flexible solar panels . What has me scratching my head is what to build the thing out of, can I use the existing stainless frame, can I do it in situ???

My first thought was to stretch the crap out of the existing fabric and glass over it, but maybe I can do better with some kind of sheet material and start from scratch.

not a close pic

but a nice one

2047015054_43aed42e93_b.jpg

In 1982 the Auckland Multi-hull Sailing Association (now the New Zealand Multihull Yacht Club) made the event (coastal classic) a reality, albeit without the power division.

Twelve intrepid skippers and their crews took part, among them Duncan (Cookie) Stuart, who was the association's commodore.

He won that first race sailing Krisis, his 42-foot trimaran.

yes BK = Bad Kitty.

The cool thing about Kisis bimini is that it carries the main sheet (you can just make it out).  Hence the recommendation of a composites engineer.  Seems to me that the main sheet on BP could also do the same.

I used plastic signboard. Lasted since 08 and needs to be replaced now. I suspect it would have lasted longer with a glass layer or even paint. But it was cheap and simple.

I wondered about that, Coreflute is $9 per sheet! Wonder what sticks to it?

Do it once and do it right

Your dodger looks a little small for the size of your boat so extending will improve the lines imho

So scribe a lenght of 6/2 to the curve of the dodger then cut out 4 or 5 more to make a jig then laminate the new roof out of 3 or 4 layers of ply to match the thickness of the existing dodger.

Then cut the existing square with a routed rebate of say 100mm to join the two then just make two posts to match the existing for the aft end of the cockpit, you will need a small beam fore and aft joining the new posts to the old set in say 50 mm from the edge.

Then either a thin layer of glass prior to fitting or better after.

I'd stop it forward of you main sheet, as the engineering for the loads would require a much larger structure

As for solar panels, flexible panels generally put out less and cost a lot more, ld be looking at either one or two panels on each side of your hard top with room to walk down the centre line to get to the sail/boom

• Upvote 1

If you use foam and glass you will end up with a strong and light bimini.  Plywood will be heavy, the weight will be in the wrong place, even for a boat your size.  If you use foam, you do need to plan attachment points etc but that is not real difficult.

bimini

I just built a ply hard dodger. It probably would have been easier in foam but that isn't my knowledge base. Ply is easy and really... a few kgs extra in for me ,a 14 ton boat. I'm not worrying.I built it multi chine. Ha.so modern. Yours looks great.mine is similar in concept...hard lid and big screen and clears

Don't forget the bolt rope track around the edges for the clear screens BP, got to keep the weather out! 

I've got a flexible plastic track suitable for going around even tight corners like on JB's lid (with a bit of gentle persuasion from a heat gun).

I know of a hard dodger that has been just removed from a Ross 35 Manxman in Tauranga with integrated solar panels that may suit your needs. Probably surplus to requirements but price unknown. Worth a look as it is sturdy and well constructed.

I have been trying to find photos but until then, it was a curved fibreglass covering with a stainless frame suitable for attaching clears or similar, quite sturdy and aesthetically pleasing for a cruiser but not for a racing type owner so it has been removed.