Cleaning Numbers Off My Sail - Archived Thread re-posted

rigger

CLEANING NUMBERS OFF MY SAIL

DAV28

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:26 pm Post subject: CLEANING NUMBERS OFF MY SAIL

Any advise - just bought a near new dacron mainsail and pulled the sail number off to put my sail no on. Cleaning the adhesive off is one big hassle - the adhesive left on the sail is like sticky glue to get off. I was advised to place a paper towel and soak with turps to soften the adhesive, but hard work and have to be careful not to smear - anty other great ideas out there from others experiences replacing sail numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PaulR

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 am

Try Desolve-It. Orange smelling clear liquid ex supermarket.

Gets glue off all sorts of stuff. Haven't tried sail numbers, but would expect it to work.

Possibly already in your household laundry, but you will need to ask permission to venture in there alone and a guidette would help!!

That works for me!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:56 am

we use acetone (nail polish remover) on our laser sails, some people say it will damage the sail but I've known plenty who have used it with out any obivous damage.

wal

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am

Bostik No 4 Solvent is what we used to use, now maybe toluene or acetone

Wet the sail down, but rather than try to dissolve the whole mess use a flat blade - not too sharp for obvious reasons - and scrape as much of the sticky messy goo off the sail. Then you can wipe off the rest with the solvent. Wash off the sail with water afterwards.

or do like I do and get the youngest sailmaker in the loft to do it.

It's kind of like a rite of passage ya know?

Elly

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 am

The Desolve-IT didn't work for me. In the end I had some success with thinners.

ScottiE

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:45 am

desolve-it tends to only work well on non-porous surfaces. I reckon acetone as well but give it a very good dousing after

DAV28

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks all - job done,detergent and warm water to wash off any remanants of the turps, nail polish remover.

The Mineral Turps on a paper towel laid over the number(s) and left to soak seemed to work best, with the flat plactic cake slicer pushing all the adhesive gunk into a lump that could be picked off. Still a mission but our new number on the second hand sail will the one the finish tower will spot and record.

wal

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am

If you find the sail is sticking together with any remnants of glue dust it with talc or chalk

Archived