Introduce yourself

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

This was a suggestion from a new user.

Tell us about yourself and your sailing. The idea is to make this a sticky so newbies can have a look and find we are not really that intimidating.

Also it might offer a friendly spot for newbies to make their first post and find they won't get eaten.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

I'll go first.

My name is David Howie, I bought this site a few years ago from Zoe who invented it. I have a day job selling houses in Whagaparaoa.

I started sailing a mere 46 years ago, done a few ocean miles, spent many years as a full time liveaboard cruiser with my wife and two daughters.

Current boat is the oddball in my avatar. I built it and I'm very proud of it, and I'm a very sensitive person so be nice about it :lol:

Attached Files

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hi, My name is Alan Wheeler and I am addicted to Crew.org. Oh wait....this isn't a confessional.
As you will note, i also tend to be full of poor attempts at Humour.
Currently live in Marlborough and our boat (45ft Tahitian, Leisure Lady) is curently based in Havelock. We love the sounds and a great part of our boating enjoyment is rafting up and meeting folks. So if you see us out there, make sure you knock on the hatch and say hi.
Oh and you are more than wlecome to call me Wheels.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

my name's jordan harkin, im 15 and i started sailing a few years ago. i'm still at school but i am currently learning the ways of the boatbuilder.
i own a turbo'd phase 2, hopefully a javelin soon, then a 10ft skiff whenever i get around to finishing it :roll:
i like bagpipes, drawing and sailing fast! (which is why, john, atom ant is knot the right boat for me)
i've done a few coastal classics (07,08,09-all on a davidson 42)
a couple of trips up (and back from) to bay of islands (short handed davidson 42, sundreamer)
bay of islands race week on sundreamer
heeeaaappppssss of dinghy sailing (lasers, phase 2, zephyr, hobie 14)
oki 24hr laser race (laser 4.7)
twilight series on a lotus 9.2
twilight series on the fastest illingworth 8.9 in the country :lol: (atom ant)
bowman on a ross 830 in wbc winter series
squaddy winter series on thompson 750 (honk n jack)
crewed on NZL40 for a bit
simrad on a piedy (named pied piper)
lots of 2 handed cruise/racing on said piedy
+heaps of other boat slut stuff. i.e- demonstrator, odd training sail on D42, y88, more piedy sailing, whiting 29
other than that, i'm about the biggest boat slut you will find.

Attached Files

#5 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

didn't we do this once before?
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Yep, but there are lots of new people now, so do as you are told or you'll be permanently banned from winning Mount Gay :lol:

#7 Battgirl

Battgirl

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationSnells Beach

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi Cathy Ross here.
I got hooked on sailing 21yrs ago when friends introduced me to the lovely Hauraki Gulf and Tasman Sea on their 42ft cruiser.
My first vessel was the Ark Royal, a windsurfer akin to an aircraft carrier which taught me to take life less seriously.
I went to a faster windsurfing rig, clocked up a few more ocean sailing miles then 8yrs ago became the third owner of the Mummery 34 Marimba 11.
She's a heavy girl for her size but she's a pretty boat that gets along in any breeze, is light on the helm and simple ie minimalist.
I especially like taking out people who wouldn't normally get a chance to go sailing, otherwise sail mostly 2handed.
Learning how to get the best out of her, improving and maintaining the different things onboard is something I also really enjoy and things like sanding, wet sanding and antifouling I call exercise.

#8 NevP

NevP

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationLower Hutt

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hi all. Name's Neville Palmer and I'm a surveyor working with a bunch of geology/geophysics fanatics at GNS Science. Living & working in The Hutt for about 7 years.
Started sailing with my father in my teens on his Harmonic 24 around Tasman Bay. Then lost touch with things nautical until last year (2009) when I spent 4 weeks on an old work boat around Milne Bay, PNG for work. That was enough to give me the bug again and since then I've been getting out sailing when I can. Have had a bit of variety in the past 12 months, from around the cans on the weekends, to a couple of trips to The Sounds, to helping with a delivery from Napier and an RYA course in Thailand.
My own hole in the water in the future sounds appealing but for now I'm enjoying the variety I get sailing on other people's boats and hope I'm providing a useful contribution.

My suggestion for making crew.org.nz a little more friendly/less intimidating is for everyone on this thread to copy their post here to their profile page so we can all see who we're talking to without needing to trawling threads like this. Unless of course, you're the private type that has things to hide. 8)

#9 NevP

NevP

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationLower Hutt

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

OK. So my last thought doesn't really work unless you paste it into your "Interests".
Squid, how about an "Introducing me"/"Little bit about me" or some such named field in everyone's profile?

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

Hell, I didn't even know we had profiles, let me talk to Mummyship and see what can be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users