Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

Nah, nothing like the above.
Without getting all gooey, the best and most satisfying experience you can have is using your skills to improve another person's well-being. That being said you then have a responsibility to give the best care possible and since I'm old and past it and my joints creak and my knees hurt, I have a few doubts about my ability to deliver which is why I retired.
My boss phoned and said he still had my resignation in his drawer and had not passed it on to the higher-ups as he thought I may reconsider as he had a few ideas about lessening the more physical nature of the job for me, and because he thought I was quite good as a diagnostician and didn't want to lose me.
The only time anyone ever says anything nice about you is when you retire or die.
On the other hand since retiring I've spent a lot more comfortable nights tucked up in my bed anchored snugly in the Lee of Bum Island instead of being out on the road somewhere, so he will have to come up with a good plan to lure me back.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#222 Captain Gingerbeard

Captain Gingerbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPalmerston North

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'm Chris Brown from Palmerston North.

I'm a newcomer to sailing, I bought a Hartley TS14 about 8 months ago but haven't used to much as it needed a bit of work.

I am a member of the local (Foxton) sailing club and had a great introduction to sailing through the club days, although they only run early on in the season. I might get back into that later on in the year and may even buy a dinghy to have a go at racing. Unfortunately I'm off the water until my boat gets fixed.

My long-term dream for many years now has been to get a liveaboard. I thought a 14 footer would be a more manageable introduction but eventually I'd like to get a much bigger boat. I have two children, my daughter is one and my son is three. So the boat would need 3 cabins. I have no partner at present so space isn't too much of an issue. I've seen some nice boats around 35' that look great. I would be sailing solo most of the time.

I'm working on some Coastguard qualifications, I have my Day Skippers and am currently doing the VHF.

But anyway, it's silly to start making plans about what to look for when I've only sailed very small boats so I am looking at trying to get out on larger trailer sailers or keelers in the range I'm looking at. I'm not sure where to start, I will post in the crew section but would appreciate it if anyone has any contacts. My local club have been fantastic but they just don't seem to have many trailer sailers and certainly no keelers at Foxton.

#223 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

Welcome aboard Chris. Probably the best bet for you is Mana Cruising club. They do a good winter keelboat series. Give the club manager a ring and put yourself up as crew. Someone likely needs another body. You'll learn a lot! :-)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#224 Captain Gingerbeard

Captain Gingerbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Thanks island time, funny you should mention Mana, I drove down there with the kids last Thursday just for a look round the marina, beautiful day sat on the grass daydreaming about boats :)

Didn't know they had a club there so it's a great suggestion, only 1.5 hours from home. Will give them a shout now.

#225 Addem

Addem

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

... beautiful day sat on the grass daydreaming about boats :)

A truly great pastime only surpassed by sitting on a boat day dreaming about, well, anything.

#226 Captain Gingerbeard

Captain Gingerbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

A truly great pastime only surpassed by sitting on a boat day dreaming about, well, anything.

Well I wouldn't be dreaming about sitting on the grass with two bored kids, that's for sure!

#227 mcp

mcp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Ryan, I'm a newcomer to sailing, despite have grown up at the beach and had a little bit of experience on other boats.

I'm hoping to get more experience before I buy my own yacht in a couple of years. So I spend a lot of time researching at the moment. I'm planning on circumnavigating NZ and then somewhere warmer.  

Based in Whangarei would love to help crewing.  

#228 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

Welcome aboard Ryan! Just a note - a trip to the Islands is easier than round NZ. NZ coastal waters can be tough, especially the capes and down south...

Go to your local yacht club and put your name down for crewing - racing is a good way to learn :-)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users