Newish Beta 14hp diesel engine might be available @ 65% of new cost

"works also as a hydro-generator while sailing"

How does the system create energy while sailing?

The hydro generation or “creating energy while sailing” function is an automatic feature in all Oceanvolt motors.

This feature is activated by pushing the button on the Oceanvolt displays for 5 seconds.

The display will automatically switch to regeneration mode showing the current generated power, RPM and time until the batteries are fully charged.

With a folding propeller the motor kicks the blades out and centrifugal force combined with the motor controller keep the blades open. 

The motor controllers tune the system actively at 10 Hz which prevents the blades from closing (too much braking would close the propellers).

This is continuos monitoring, the system will adjust the propeller RPM depending on the boat speed. The system shuts itself down if the battery is fully charged or the boat speed is too low for efficient hydro generation.

At 5-7 knots the regeneration power with a folding propeller is about half compared to fixed and adjustable pitch propellers. 

Folding propellers provide low drag due to partially opened blades.

A 15 inch 3 blade folding propeller will slow the boat (Maestro 40, 6 tons) about 0.1 knots at 7 knots of speed in regeneration mode.

The regenerating feature is extremely suitable for catamarans, because twin motors means double the energy.

Catamarans are also faster which means that the regeneration power is higher.

If the Oceanvolt motor is used only for hydro generation and not for propulsion the power boost gained from using a higher pitch propeller dedicated for regenerations is about 20-30%.

i wonder what system went in 888 and how it's going

doesn't look like a system that will work on a 4ksb

regen_website.jpg

I don't know that electric motors are all that green. I knew a lady a few years ago who was an engineer for Bombardier in Canada, and one of her jobs was to evaluate the environmental comparisons between fossil fuels and electric drives. I remember her big concerns at the time were around lead acid battery disposal which are pretty harsh on the environment, and also on the people doing it. I was at sea at the time and every sailing we had up to six 20 foot containers, 120kt, of batteries going to the Philippines for dismantling - too dangerous for our labour force to do but I suppose we must have regarded Philipinos as a bit more expendible. All the ships on the Manila run were carrying the same. But no doubt battery technology has moved on a bit since then..

Yes ypu are right Chris, many do not factor in the environmental costs from obtaining the raw materials, making the item and then getting rid if it once spent.
We did, or at least the was, a Battery recycling plant in CHCH. It was in Woolston CHCH, which was badly hot by the quake. So may be no longer.
A big advantage of Lead Acid Batts is that they are nearly fully recyclable. Where as NiCad and Lithium are not.