#1 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

Mrs Micawber, a rare wooden 727 is available.  (April 2016)

She is, if I'm not mistaken, of the fanzipants type. Transom hung rudder for simplicity and easy maintenance.

AFAIK, three wooden 727s were made of this model, + Pinto, the plug for the production 727. Micawber is lighter than the production glass model, making her quick in the fleet despite giving away a few cm on waterline. She is allowed to race in the nationals with the rest of the 727s.

Construction is glass set in resorcinol over marine ply and resorcinol glued. She was well made (professionally) and structural members are, I think, kauri (keel plank, laminated frames, stringers etc.)

Originally purchased in '98 by the current owner she was well restored and maintained, and won the Richmond Wed Night G division two years in a row (2004 and 2005) and is also on the board at the Richmond for some centennial race...

Mrs Micawber has been out of the water since early 2008, and is half way through a full sand back restoration. The current owner has a power of other things on his plate and has no longer the time or energy to see her back in the water, having opted to "simply go sailing" in his bigger family boat.

She is generally sound, but will need some epoxy and glass in a few spots (over zealous sanding), and a repaint.

Complete with rig and a crap load of sails and boxes of other stuff. No inboard fitted.

Vessel is on the hard in Mangare Bridge and is open to offers.

I would taker her myself, but my situation makes it somewhat difficult at this time. 

PM me for more details.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users