Where boating "rates" in NZ!

Guest Dry Reach

Guest Dry Reach

Once upon a time Boating was NZ number one sporting / recreational activity in NZ

Now it is not even in the top twenty!

Even tramping and Aerobics has more numbers participating

Participation in sport and recreation, from the information gathered a list of popular activities was created. The ten most popular sport and recreational activities participated in over a 12 month period are ranked in the following order:

• Walking

• Gardening

• Cycling

• Swimming

• Equipment based exercise

• Fishing

• Jogging/running

• Snowsports

• Dance

• Golf

If you don't beieve me see the Sparc site!...

http://www.activenzsurvey.org.nz/Result ... ecreation/

See the Sparc site!... and now understand why i rant about the poor"backwards" performance of YNZ and why boatings demise is bigger than most here ever considered.

we used to be N0#1 15 years ago,

Squid if you want to make money start a Walking site!

Now "jog on!"

Guest Dry Reach

http://www.activenzsurvey.org.nz/Docume ... Levels.pdf

or...

in order

name, % of pop, (trend), numbers

Walking 64.1 ( 62.2 - 66.0 ) 2,100,277 1

Gardening 43.1 ( 41.2 - 45.1 ) 1,414,635 2

Swimming 34.7 ( 32.8 - 36.6 ) 1,139,812 3

Equipment-based exercise 26.6 ( 24.8 - 28.4 ) 868,271 4

Cycling (total) 22.7 ( 21.0 - 24.5 ) 745,182 *

Cycling (cycling/biking) 19.6 ( 17.9 - 21.4 ) 644,698 5

Fishing (total) 19.5 ( 17.7 - 21.2 ) 633,768 *

Jogging/running 17.6 ( 15.9 - 19.3 ) 574,107 6

Dance (total) 16.8 ( 15.2 - 18.5 ) 549,110 *

Fishing (marine/saltwater) 16.6 ( 15.0 - 18.3 ) 539,446 7

Golf 12.8 ( 11.3 - 14.4 ) 416,221 8

Dance (various) 11.5 ( 10.0 - 13.0 ) 378,607 9

Tramping 9.4 ( 8.0 - 10.8 ) 306,342 10

Tennis 9.3 ( 7.9 - 10.7 ) 304,676 11

Pilates/yoga 9.0 ( 7.6 - 10.4 ) 290,753 12

Aerobics 8.6 ( 7.2 - 9.9 ) 277,865 13

Cricket (total) 7.3 ( 6.0 - 8.6 ) 237,965 *

Football (total) 6.8 ( 5.6 - 8.0 ) 227,266 *

Cricket (outdoors) 6.8 ( 5.6 - 8.0 ) 221,219 14

Touch rugby 6.7 ( 5.5 - 7.9 ) 219,953 15

Netball (total) 6.5 ( 5.3 - 7.6 ) 209,771 *

Canoeing/kayaking 6.4 ( 5.2 - 7.5 ) 209,648 16

Basketball 6.3 ( 5.1 - 7.4 ) 209,427 17

Snowsports (total) 6.3 ( 5.2 - 7.5 ) 206,071 *

Cycling (mountain biking) 6.1 ( 5.0 - 7.3 ) 202,237 18=

Callisthenics/stretch 6.1 ( 4.9 - 7.2 ) 198,879 18=

Table tennis 5.9 ( 4.7 - 7.0 ) 194,198 20

Rugby 5.7 ( 4.6 - 6.8 ) 189,661 21=

Fishing (freshwater) 5.7 ( 4.6 - 6.8 ) 184,784 21=

Football (outdoor) 5.5 ( 4.4 - 6.6 ) 185,292 23

Hunting (total) 4.6 ( 3.6 - 5.6 ) 150,343 *

Surfing/body boarding 4.5 ( 3.5 - 5.5 ) 145,620 24

Volleyball (total) 4.4 ( 3.4 - 5.4 ) 148,496 *

Hunting (other) 4.4 ( 3.4 - 5.4 ) 143,598 25

Sailing and yachting is lower than these and less than (143,000 participants)

DR, you've said "boating" in your thread title and in places in your posts as well but interspersed it with "sailing/yachting" in other mentions.

Most of those taking part in "saltwater fishing" would be using a boat to do so (as opposed to those fishing off breakwaters and consequently catching passing boats). You just have to go to any ramp on a weekend to see the participation levels and the investment, which seems to be more than a comparable-sized yacht. All of those "boat" manufacturers will be very pleased with the results of their marketing.

Canoeing/kayaking is in there too - the rise in affordable plastic kayaks has probably brought across some of those who would previously have been mucking around in a ply dinghy (and therefore counted as "boating"). Again, lots of 'em out enjoying the harbour - almost too many at times.

Don't know where you sourced your "we used to be #1 15 years ago" stat from but I will take your word for it.

A lot of those top 10 seem to be do-able without needing much investment in equipment, other people to assist, favourable weather etc.

I walked around the garden today in between rain to see which plants are surviving - oops, I just put the top two further into the lead. :crazy:

Once upon a time Boating was NZ number one sporting / recreational activity in NZ

Yeah the figures are incorrect because it comes down to how they are used and catagorised. Boating in all it's forms is actually still at the top and in second place with Rugby as the top recreational sport with 6% of NZ'er playing it and boating a close second with 5% of the population.

So the problem with the stats is that we don't realy know how the figures were made up way back. Was it boating encompassing every boating sport or was it sailing or yacht racing or??

Yes correct that sailing as a sport is struggling in some area's. But once again, it isn;t just one cause/reason, it's many. Cost and time is one factor. But the biggy is that we have two main factors to contend with today. One is that Kids are not getting into sport at all of any kind, unless tapping on a Keyboard is considered sport and unless partying and boozing and cruising can be called sport. I guess some may say "cruising" and "diesels" are indeed a motor sport. By the way, "Diesels" are what the young ones call it when they pour Diesel and oil on the road and smoke up the tyres on the patch.

And the biggy, the choices available to people in playing a sport today is huge. Far far more than the choices we had when we were Kids. I don't see that as a bad thing as long as they are into something sporting wise.

Now here is a biggy and if you take note at the list, it becomes very obvious as to what is happening.

• Walking

• Gardening

• Cycling

• Swimming

• Equipment based exercise

• Fishing

• Jogging/running

• Snowsports

• Dance

• Golf

They are all things old people do. We have an aging population. The number of young people are deminishing. So there are simply not the numbers of young people to get into these sports. Also shown by the number of schools closed and closing around the country.

Guest Dry Reach

Wheels, read the web site thoroughly and you will see that they are accurate and look at all forms of boating indivdually and collectivley.

Boating (all together) rates behind most sports as Rugby is way behind tennis.

Sparc would not put incorrect figures on the web site.

and Cycling is a 35-40 year old sport. Don't see many grannies out there.

Rubbish, there are many people biking well into their senior years and the same for Jogging and walking. And how come Tennis clubs are struggling then? And tell me, who the heck Gardens? older people. The list is complete rubbish.

Guest Dry Reach
Rubbish, there are many people biking well into their senior years and the same for Jogging and walking. And how come Tennis clubs are struggling then? And tell me, who the heck Gardens? older people. The list is complete rubbish.

prove it and back it up with facts.

Oldies go boating too.

wheel, go to the web site and see the breakdown. (age, race, ...)

I'll trust Sparc analysis and people until some one can prove them wrong with better data, judgements and analysis.

why would they lie?

Guest Dry Reach

The thing to look at on the web site is the real sports on the participation list.

if you read the site thoroughly you will see that Yachting/sailing has very low participation rates. 79,000 ish. and rates well behind canoeing, surfing, tennis, golf, cycling, and many others.

If you take time to read all the reference material you will see that this is the most accurate survey we have ever done and is accurate.

but i am happy for some one to prove Sparc wrong!

for. general recreation (all activities including walking...) boating (combined) is way down..and gardeneing is a recreation, just like sailing (not racing)

That survey is based on only 4443 people aged over 16.

I have tried to find the questions that were asked but the source that the web site directed me to was a very brief survey of only 9 pages and spent much of that talking about walking.

Personally my opinion of that survey is that it is not a true reflection of NZ society.

The report says more people take part in pilates/yoga than football or netball (indoor and outdoor), or rugby or rugby league or for that matter the combined totals of rugby and rugby league together.

It does not even have an activity relating to people just going boating.

OK, lets see, my wife is a Half Marathon runner. Not going to state her age.

A guy I have lunch with everyday is a Mountain biker and goes out every weekend with 5 of his own friends. All in their mid fifties, all here in Marlborough.

A friend and chairman of my board is a Road cyclist and a damn good one and he is near retirement. Lives here in Blenheim

My cousin the same age as me is a competitive runner, he lives in Wellington.

Another good friend in CHCH is a Triathllon competitor. He now has a partner that he met in the sport. Both same age as me.

Very close friends of my my wife and I are parents of two and same age as us and they are heavily into the sport Orientering.

Sorry DR but the survey is crap. Total rubbish. What 16-30 year old would have gardening as their main recreation. In fact the common theme of homes in NZ is for smaller and smaller sections and less garden and what garden there is to be easy care because people don't want to have to spend time looking after the garden.

Statistics are always flawed. Results are always based on an average and in how a question was asked. In my example above, three of the above also spend a great deal of time in the garden. I also spend a great deal of time in the Garden. Yet i also boat. One ather above also is a keen boater and recreational fisherman. So I can skew those figures in several different ways.

79,000 = 2% of the population.

Given the investment required in terms of equipment to go boating, compared with walking and cycling, I would have thought it was not that bad.

But I agree the survey methodology needs to be checked and other factors looked at before you draw conclusions from it. I've seen surveys throw up really weird data and still get published as fact.

why would they lie?

The same reason YNZ spends a disproportionate amount of energy on Olymipics, that being funding. They will get funding for a 'healthy population' easy entry sport like walking (if it's indeed a sport) or bike riding than they would for rick pricks on boats.

I don't think boating and/or yachting has decreased in numbers more than it hasn't grown as fast as the population for pretty much what Zoe said.

Guest Dry Reach

OK, lets see, my wife is a Half Marathon runner. Not going to state her age.

A guy I have lunch with everyday is a Mountain biker and goes out every weekend with 5 of his own friends. All in their mid fifties, all here in Marlborough.

A friend and chairman of my board is a Road cyclist and a damn good one and he is near retirement. Lives here in Blenheim

My cousin the same age as me is a competitive runner, he lives in Wellington.

Another good friend in CHCH is a Triathllon competitor. He now has a partner that he met in the sport. Both same age as me.

Very close friends of my my wife and I are parents of two and same age as us and they are heavily into the sport Orientering.

Sorry DR but the survey is crap. Total rubbish. What 16-30 year old would have gardening as their main recreation. In fact the common theme of homes in NZ is for smaller and smaller sections and less garden and what garden there is to be easy care because people don't want to have to spend time looking after the garden.

Statistics are always flawed. Results are always based on an average and in how a question was asked. In my example above, three of the above also spend a great deal of time in the garden. I also spend a great deal of time in the Garden. Yet i also boat. One ather above also is a keen boater and recreational fisherman. So I can skew those figures in several different ways.

AStrange arguement to give wheels.

Why would gardners not state the sport or recreation the do when not gardening?.

But for forget gardneing and just look at the sportsd!... Yachting is way off the pace.

I agree stat's can be inaccurate (but usually only by a 3-7 % margin. and these are the best stats we have by the best people available.. and while i understand your passioin to defend the sports patronage. i think it is better to be realistic about an issue and fix it than be in denial.

By the way the survey could be biased infavour of boating too by..

The survey could have asked many people who are not Boaties but went on a boat during the survey period.

Also it could also count owners of boats that never go out.. And there are plenty of those.

If Also how many 70 y/o's do triathlon... al that is irrelevant. the key point is Boating is not as popoular as it used to be.

If you read some of the reports on the site you will see that it is not based on polling as much as it is based on factual data provided by all the sporting bodies. data based on registrations, memberships... and this data was supplied by YNZ Costgaurd, PBANZ, Fishing clubs, yacht clubs... (according to the resources section of the reports)

i going with the Sparc report until someone comes up with better ststs.

and.. As YNZ gets its funding from sparc If theywer not not in agreement with Sparcs figures i am dam syure they would have said something by now!

I would suggest that it wouldn't matter what report was generated by who. You have a Bee in your Bonnett and you are not going to change your argument, nor listen to anyone.

Guest Dry Reach

Wheels don't you think the same could be said about yourself on this arguement as well as the trial by trikery thread regarding Scott Watson.

Maybe i am listening, but what i am hearing has no basis of fact! sorry wheels but we will agree to disagree.

there is none so blind as those who cannot see!

I would suggest that it wouldn't matter what report was generated by who. You have a Bee in your Bonnett and you are not going to change your argument, nor listen to anyone.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived