Mooring in Tauranga

I have a friend, new to yachting, who is looking at buying a 35ft yacht and is after a mooring in Tauranga. I can give him a little guidance with the boat, but I know nothing about moorings and less about Tauranga. He is looking at one in Pilot Bay for $6500 and one close to the bridge for around double that. Can anyone help on pros and cons with moorings in Tauranga? Looking at Beale 33s, 1020s, that sort of size yacht. Questions I would ask would be:

• Access.
  • Shelter.
  • Value.
  • Resale.
  • Fish hooks and dodgy stuff to be aware of.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Smithy.

I don't know why you would put a boat on a mooring when there are casual marina berths available for a "reasonable" cost, possibly $2-3000 annually and there is security, less seagulls and good ease of access. The marina at Sulphur Point - run by the Tga Marina Society is my preference with pricing and no tide running through it, that's where my boat is.

In my view Pilot Bay has less tide but more exposed to SW, tenders have to be stored at home or on the Pilot Bay beach where they can be damaged or stolen, there is more boat traffic too.

By the Bridge Marina the moorings can be closer but there is a lot of tidal movement, going by the bird scarers fitted there are more birds shitting and nesting. It can get quite rough out in the main channel (outer mooring area) when there is wind against tide in a strong Northerly. Access via tender has the advantage of dinghy racks and the outer marina pontoon to use for loading temporarily although this is probably not officially permitted.

Any more info Willow would be a good person to contact or call me via phone,

Cheers Andy 0273031477

I wouldn't put a boat on a mooring in pilot bay over the winter. The south westerly storms can give boats a hammering with the odd one breaking free from time to time. The harbour masters office runs the moorings so I would talk to them first. As Bally said marina berths are readily available.

I had a mooring in pilot bay and the worst part was not wing able to park anywhere near the beach in summer, when one most wants to get to the boat. I'd never go near it again.

Moorings at the bridge are not too bad for access because of the car park and tender rack nearby. but what Ballystick says is right. Shags, gulls and terms for Africa. I don't think they get beaten up as much as pilot bay. I've not heard of a broken mooring there.

Sulphur point marina is pretty much a closed shop to buy but there is currently a 10m berth to rent (so I understand).

Plenty of space at Bridge marina to rent or buy.

Agreed that generally things go to plan, but its amusing watching the Riverias all bouncing off each other. Full length keels and a full tidal current can be fun if there is a bit of a breeze also. I have had a couple of worried moments. Piece of cake when the tide is slack.

Piece of cake when the tide is slack.

Gotta agree with that

Main wharf - 15m space each end of vessel, inbound turn ~180deg, engine running half astern as going into gap with strong ebb.