#1 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia & New Zealand

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

A few months ago my Hartley Tasman - Shenoa - broke her 18 month old anchor chain and ended up under a wharf, where it was rescued some 9 hours later by water police and delivered to Marine Safety Queensland. They issued an order to have her hauled within a fortnight on the basis of "damage caused in the accident." Further details of the story up to here are in "The Coastal Passage" letters column for issue 77, Apr-May 2016.

I protested this order as the yacht was undamaged, all they could see was existing decay and old damage from an accident 3 years ago and prior to my ownership. The order was eventually cancelled and another issued, stating that I had until June 30th to have her inspected and declared seaworthy by a qualified boat builder.

I've torn my hair out over this decision but the cost of repairing this hull to a condition I'd be satisfied with is too much and just not viable compared to the resale value, so she's going to the crusher. You may now call me "ferro killer." Sorry.

I still haven't decided what to do with the Queenslander in Sydney.

http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#2 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

Wow, they have that kind of power over there?
But you consider it seaworthy. Why should a boat builder say any different? Maybe it will just cost you a haul. Although yeah I know that is not always cheap either.
And Seaworthy to what Sea kind. Harbor? Coastal? or open water?
Blimey, if they are forcing you to haul based on some damage and yet the boat is not sinking, the Water Police would have a heart attack if they saw some of the derelicts on swing moorings over here.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

In there with Wheels on that, holy big brother.

That's spooky power

#4 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:31 AM

My sentiments exactly. The hull had a crack when I bought it and was taking on a fair bit of water, but I repaired that from inside over two years ago. They were mostly complaining about some superficial cracking on the deck near the transom and a little light crushing of the concrete at the bow caused, probably,  by the jerky motion of propwash here in the Brisbane River. My guess is that the anchor chain tangled despite having a swivel, and when it shortened sufficiently the cracking came first, then the break. All of which is well above the water line.

In any case this is a blatant misapplication of a law intended to ensure the safety of crews in commercial shipping and protect the environment. Leveling this sort of power - including the threat of a $50,000 fine - against a small yacht worth $2,200 at best is entirely inappropriate.

But since when did any government agency use judgement?

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#5 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:28 AM

I've put her up for sale. We'll let the market decide whether she should live or die.

http://www.ebay.com....-/252386426520?

#6 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:08 AM

On the face of it and looking at your auction I'm thinking that their actions are appropriate
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#7 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:57 AM

Oh bullshit. They're not the aesthetics police. And btw those photos were taken by the previous owner when he sold her three years ago, the topsides have been painted and a lot of cleaning done since then.

I've recently seen Tasmans in not much better condition advertised on trademe.co.nz for NZ$13,000

#8 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

How many days did you have the boat on the anchor?

#9 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

https://atlasconcrete.co.nz/recycling/

#10 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

The pics don't worry me at all - I may post some pics sometime, of my boat when I took her over.
However what rings bells with me is that you bought a ferro-cement boat some three years prior to breaking free with exterior damage including a crack that was shipping water. You repaired some months later (perhaps a year later?) by just applying cement from the inside which might stop water ingress but certainly wont't protect the 'ferro' (there are two quite dissimilar materials in any reinforced concrete structure) but still had not slipped her to repair properly some two years later. In my view, unless your reinforcement is SS316, there's a good chance it's pretty much fucked across the crack line. And so, again in my view, I'm thinking their actions are entirely appropriate.

You also agree that it should be repaired to a 'standard' - which means you think that it's currently not up to that same standard.

But hey - I was just expressing my opinion - based entirely on what you wrote - no need to swear at me!
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users