36 replies to this topic

#11 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

How many days did you have the boat on the anchor?

What does that have to do with the topic?

Folks, The topic is that under the umbrella of an organization, a Person pr Persons, that may or may not even have any experience in the construction of vessels, has told the Owner, that's the person that knows the boat the best, to have the Boat inspected in a way that could be very expensive.
Pretty simply put. It is floating, the Owner is happy who the hell cares. If it was a danger to Shipping or some kind of Hazard, then different story.

And Ed, I really don't see your post as being helpful in anyway.

#12 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

If the boat turns out to be uneconomical to repair I was pointing out a potential recycling avenue rather than just sending the boat hull to landfill after its been stripped.

#13 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

So back on topic can anyone comment on a nz harbourmasters or maritime nz's powers in comparison to the above

#14 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:40 PM

Wheels - really? Perhaps then, we should hear the other side of the argument for balance?
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#15 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

So back on topic can anyone comment on a nz harbourmasters or maritime nz's powers in comparison to the above

Very little. Providing it is not a hazard to Shipping in anyway. As in, it is likely to sink and be a problem in some way. I imagine that each Region in NZ will have their own differing bylaws that may or may not change that slightly.

#16 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

Slightly aside from the Topic, guys I am trying to make this particular Forum "unthreatening" to those taking a look in here. We have a constant growing number of newbies on the FB page and I have promoted this Forum, as find it a lot easier to use than the forum on FB. Or at least I do anyway.  But very few seem to want to pop across here. I am not sure why. Maybe because they get all that they want from the FB page, or maybe because they don't want to sign up to a Boating Forum. I simply don't know the answer. But I want to ensure it is not that they are scared off because they feel like they are being made fun of, or bullied, or whatever, just because they are into FC boats.
So don't get me wrong, I am not taking aim at anyone. I am just trying to make this as friendly as possible.

#17 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

I want to ensure it is not that they are scared off because they feel like they are being made fun of, or bullied, or whatever, (...) I am just trying to make this as friendly as possible.

Bravo that man!

And sorry for the slight drift that follows...

Has anyone else noticed a decline in active users of late?

I'm sure there are more than half a dozen users, but it seems to always be the same few posting.

I realise that it is winter here, hence the "off season" if there is such a thing, but it seems awfully quiet around here lately.

Are people scared of being harassed? or simply too busy? Or am I totally of the mark?

I love the sailing game, in all its forms, and this is the first place I come to get my daily fix when I can't get to the water.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#18 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

My guess is that the anchor chain tangled despite having a swivel, and when it shortened sufficiently the cracking came first, then the break. All of which is well above the water line.

I assume this boat was anchored for quite a while for the anchor chain to tangle and get shortened sufficiently to cause it to break away. This old boat could have done a fair bit of damage to other boats if it came charging through other moored boats especially a multihull.

Our insurance policy will not insure us if we anchor without being on the boat itself.  This boat should have been on a proper certified mooring that has two swivels.

I would bet this boat has no third party damage insurance either. It would have to have a inspection cert for that.

Please scrap this boat.

#19 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia & New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

How many days did you have the boat on the anchor?

I was aboard two weeks before this happened and the anchor chain was not fouled. It was in shallow water and occasionally bottomed at low tide so I really can't see how it could have tangled, but that theory is all I have right now. The chain, as I said, was 18 months old.

http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#20 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia & New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

I'm in Brisbane so that link isn't of much use. Already made enquiries of the concrete recyclers here and got no response at all.

http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users