#31 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia & New Zealand

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

Sorry to hear you just had time wasters on ebay haiqu.

Yeah, thanks. I ended up hauling the Tasman out at Montys Marina in Beachmere about 6 months ago. She's still on the hard and I haven't even started working on it at all. Too busy doing embedded programming but I have been living aboard the whole time.

I ran her up there from the Brisbane River across Morton Bay with a 6hp outboard.

Right now I'm visiting Sydney for the first time in two years, and living on the Hartley Queenslander until the 28th when I'll be going to a reunion of some old hippies I knew in the 70's. The weather - and seagulls, which had taken up residence for breeding purposes - left a bit of a mess, and my 6yo wiring job will need redoing due to corrosion.

I'm only down here for a fortnight so trying to just make her look outwardly presentable to the authorities so they keep off my back until I can "get a round tuit" and move her to a yard.

At least now I can get started, I received a small inheritance when my father passed a couple of years ago and no longer have to scrimp for materials. Having two boats is still non-optimum but it's certainly nice to have a cheap place to stay in Sydney. When you consider the cost of accomodation here a grand a year for the mooring and rego is peanuts.

Edited by haiqu, 18 January 2017 - 01:20 AM.

http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#32 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:24 AM

And btw, when the Tasman had been water blasted and I did a really good inspection I saw nothing at all to concern me below the water line. She could have floated for another 20 years as long as the bilge pump kept working occasionally to remove the fresh water getting in through the crack at the deck/hull join. The repair I did to the small hole in the hull was 100% sound.

I can thoroughly recommend Gripset Betta Water Plug as an emergency material for fixing ferro yachts. I wouldn't go anywhere now without a couple of tubs aboard.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen

#33 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:40 AM

Good to hear.
I too have had my Boat out on the Cradle for a week. I have had a small area on the Bow that was always weeping rust. I found out why and stopped that part, but needed to clean up the rust on the paint and fix the actual damage inside the Plaster itself. I chipped it all away and found very little internal damage. Just an area about the size of my Palm of where the Wire had rusted. I cleaned it up and troweled on some Epoxy Mortar, repainted the area and it looks good as new. Various people around comment, "Is that it? is that all you do?" They were all quite amazed at the ease and speed of the repair.
I also mounted a new Through Hull Transducer while at it. I used a Diamond Hole cutter and Battery Drill and slowly rotating the cutter, I cut my way clean through the Plaster/steel. Went really slowly because I was not able to use water on the Cutter for cooling.

#34 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

Yeah, repairing most things on a ferro is a snack. The only area I'm concerned about is the rear deck just forward of the transom, since it has already been badly repaired once. May just smash it all into crumbs with a 6 pound hammer, insert a layer of 3mm ply and make a whole new shelf on top of that. It's not really structurally important but looks pretty ugly.

I'll post some progress photos later in the year as I attack each area of the repair.

Seasick Sheamus has gone really quiet. I was hoping to see some more photos of his progress.

#35 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

Don't know if you watch the TradeMe auctions but someone recently got a bargain:

http://www.trademe.c...&rewritten=true

A bit out of my price range though.

#36 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

Yes we discussed this Schooner in a forum above. Someone wanted to marry the wife, simply because she originally bought that Schooner for her Husband. Any wife that buys a boat for Hubby must be worth marrying. ;-)

#37 haiqu

haiqu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

Actually I did a bit of a net stalk on Fifi to find out where her money came from. Evidently she was an early investor in TradeMe and did quite well when they were bought out by eBay. She also runs an art roadshow for schools as a charity. Interesting girl that one.

But marry her? Hmmm ... I'm too old - and too confirmed as a bachelor - for that.

There was more than one proposal on that thread, but she made it fairly clear that she had already found a new guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users