Photo

Inflatable Dinghies - the good, the bad and the ugly?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

Bought a NZ-made Aquapro about 5yrs ago. Was awful with manufacturing fault from factory - twisted tubes - which meant handles and rowlocks out of alignment relative to waterline. Made for strange handling. Give them due they took it back and ‘fixed it’ which involved unsticking stuff and repositioning it relative to waterline. I had asked for a new replacement (mine was 1 week old when I noticed the flaw) but they couldn’t because they said the whole batch they had in the factory at that time had the same issue.

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#52 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationWaimauku, Auckland

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Years ago we had a Southern Pacific roll up and it lasted well over a decade with no problems and most of that time it was left outside in the NZ sun. More recently we've had an Aakron which started to literally fall apart in less than 2 years, seams failing, rowlocks falling off etc. That experience meant our next one was a new larger Southern Pacific and am very happy with it. Also the SP was made just around the corner from us in Kumeu so not only are they good dinghies it's also supporting a local NZ business. 

#53 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

Yup as and when my Aquapro dies I’ll probably get a SP Shearwater. I had a look at them and they look good. Although of course my Aquapro with the dodgy start in life was made by the same people! The redeeming feature is that, as you say, they are relatively local (if you’re buying in Auckland) and you can expect better hands-on service if you need it (which I did) than buying an overseas brand.

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#54 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Loving my Seafarer 2.4 rib.  Made in TPU so should be good for a while.  Bought it in June and haven't added any air yet...

https://www.seafarerinflatables.co.nz/

#55 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Given the price and Wheels' report, I think I'm happy to take my chances with Ocean Inflatables... http://www.inflatabl...z.co.nz/models/

#56 southernman

southernman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Locationnelson

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

Has anyone got any first hand experience with the trukit?  https://truekit.nz/c...ant=30006782022

I need a fold up boat rather than a hard bottom one. 

#57 Elliot749

Elliot749

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Look up the Wildcat model on Trademe, I have one of their 2.6m roll ups, it’s awesome. Same style as TrueKit . WildCat is Akl based , but will ship anywhere I think 

#58 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

Yep I have a True Kit Navigator.

The main plus with the "cat" design inflatables with the paddle board type higher pressure floor is the rowing performance.

So good that I have never used the outboard since I got it.

Also the light weight as I lift it up on to the roof.

The down side is the ribbed protection pads under the hulls which disintegrates to the stickiest mastic type crap you can imagine.

When I suggested they use something better the guy said use the UV cover.

A pretty average response to customer feed back I thought.

So we swapped the protection for a vinyl ourselves and much better

#59 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

Look up the Wildcat model on Trademe, I have one of their 2.6m roll ups, it’s awesome. Same style as TrueKit . WildCat is Akl based , but will ship anywhere I think 

https://www.trademe....-2408252641.htm

Though curiously, their website only describes a rigid polyethylene product... https://www.wildcatboats.co.nz/

#60 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:58 AM

Yep I have a True Kit Navigator.

The main plus with the "cat" design inflatables with the paddle board type higher pressure floor is the rowing performance.

So good that I have never used the outboard since I got it.

Really? Conventional wisdom is that inflatables row like crap.  Encouraging if not the case with this brand as I prefer to row for fitness and less mucking around than with outboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users