Photo

Inflatable Dinghies - the good, the bad and the ugly?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

Old Avons could row well ( i have beaten a hard dinghy in a race). It's because of the rowlocks.
I believe it is still possible to buy just the rowlocks so it would be an interesting exercise to retrofit them on some other brands and see if there's a difference. Those rowlocks also allowed you to throw away the crap oars all inflatables come with and get a decent pair.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#62 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:47 AM

Most inflatables, in particular RIBs bow steer badly. The cat style with pressure floors don't and actually track pretty well.
The limiting factor is then the rowlocks first and then the flimsy oars they give you.

#63 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

Most inflatables, in particular RIBs bow steer badly. The cat style with pressure floors don't and actually track pretty well.
The limiting factor is then the rowlocks first and then the flimsy oars they give you.

Could you technically attach the railblaza rowlick attachment to a beefier wooden oar....or are they only good enough for the lightweight aluminium jobbies? And yes, I have a pair of the aluminium type oars, and geez they are very flimsy.

#64 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,028 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

I had a takacat. Wetter than my 2.8m rib. Did not last.
I think right now I'd buy a seafarer.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#65 Waa1066

Waa1066

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

Bought a NZ-made Aquapro about 5yrs ago. Was awful with manufacturing fault from factory - twisted tubes - which meant handles and rowlocks out of alignment relative to waterline. Made for strange handling. Give them due they took it back and ‘fixed it’ which involved unsticking stuff and repositioning it relative to waterline. I had asked for a new replacement (mine was 1 week old when I noticed the flaw) but they couldn’t because they said the whole batch they had in the factory at that time had the same issue.

#66 Waa1066

Waa1066

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

Lol - I can confirm that it’s still going strong !

Edited by Waa1066, 25 November 2019 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users