Snap shackle on an adjustable bight

Ok, lets see how I go explaining this to get to the question...

I have a need to put a Ronstan shackle on a prod tack line.  The non opening side of the shackle will be attached to a continuous furler.

Currently my Tack line runs parallel to the Prod, passes through a block attached to the end of the prod, and then ends at an eye splice with a Tylaska T8 attached.  We simply haul on the tack line at the cockpit to tighten the tack line.

What I am wanting to do is create a 2:1 at the prod, the reason for this isn't for the extra purchase, it to create a solid platform that won't rotate so that the continuous furler cannot rotate.

The solution I have come up with, is to take my existing Tack line, leaving it exactly as it is now, but attaching the end of the tack line back to the same point that the block is attached to.

So now I have a bight in the tack line, one end is fixed, the size of the bight can be adjusted from the cockpit.

Now what I want to do is take the snap shackle on the continuous furler and connect it to the bight.  I can now pull the luff tight, pull the furler all the way down to the end of the prod, and the bight creates a solid platform so the furler will not rotate on the tack line.

So, my question, is it a good or bad idea to use a snap shackle in such a way?

My concern is that the friction of the tack line being pulled through the snap shackle will cause issue for the shackle, and the tack line making a sudden 180deg turn will also cause an issue for the shackle.  I have never seen a shackle used in such a way, which usually means it's not such a great idea.

I had also considered putting a non rotating block on the bight, and then attaching the shackle to that block, but we use the tack line for non furling sails as well and the thought of a 60mm block flogging around when the tack is released plain right scares me.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks

Unless you've got a retractable prod won't you just end up hoisting all your sails on the 2:1 tack line?

I quite like the look of the ronstan fair lead from their new top down furlers.

image.jpg

If I read the OP right, the snapshackle closed end is at the furler, and it can be snapped on/off the bight?

which could explain why there is no big block there without the furler. I'm guessing the eye splice will have a connector of some sort so it can be reverted back to single purchase when the furling gear is off.

Is this Womble from Whangarei??

The prod is retractable. I will launch all sails on the 2:1. I plan to leave the Tylaska LB on the bight for non furling sails.

I looked at the fairlead but I don't like it because it has a screw pin (like a d-shackle) which is prone to going over the side when changing sails or setting up when underway. If all my sails were on the furler then it would be perfect as it could be left on permanently when underway.

[quote name="Womble" post="167782" timestamp="1466934550

I looked at the fairlead but I don't like it because it has a screw pin (like a d-shackle) which is prone to going over the side when changing sails or setting up when underway. If all my sails were on the furler then it would be perfect as it could be left on permanently when underway.

I have a wichard one and it has a plastic keeper for the pin so it doesn't fall over the side. I hook up my furler before each race, as I have 2 tack lines, but often end up flying a kite off the furler, just means a bit more hardware out there, that is not used.

NEX 0.9 furler on my screecher. 2:1 tackline through wichard mx6 fairlead shackle on bottom and low friction ring lashed to prod.

Kite tackline has swivelling pulley on 2:1 tackline with another low friction ring on prod.

Can use kite in either, but screecher only on screecher tackline.

I run my endless furling line right to back beam so nice and close to furl when short handed or solo.

Only comment I would make is that if you go back to the block or where it is with the tack line end you may not stop the loop spinning and hence the furler from rotating. You need a little bit of separation between to two legs of the bight so ... make a loop in the end of the tack line and put it around the prod, ideally 100mm or so away from the block, use a saddle or something to keep it there.

If the furler spins it quickly becomes a cluster F..k

Timb

I guess its more about how much load. I run 2 tack lines. One is 1-1 for gennaker and is long so we can do main hatch drops. the other is 2-1 for code zero. So when I hoist the zero I take it all the way up the rig and then winch it down on the 2-1 (less compression on he rig). Im using a spectra tackline. On a ross 780 my bobstay will break before the snap shackle or tackline.

You mean less compression on your prod, if I read that right and your 2:1 in on the tack line.

A 2:1 on the main halyard is a real pain when it twists and knots inside the mast ... in the bin it went! :-)

• Upvote 1

You mean less compression on your prod, if I read that right and your 2:1 in on the tack line.

A 2:1 on the main halyard is a real pain when it twists and knots inside the mast ... in the bin it went! :-)

Been there its nasty. Spectra gets a bit of a memory, go vectran on the 2:1 and it will run like a good thing.