29 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

but with VHF, cell phones and EPIRB's not really sure how vital pyros really are.

I am 250mts from your boating drama.

My stereo drowns out the VHF, should the VHF even be on, and I always turn my ph off as I hop aboard.

How would you attract my attention?

#12 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

wave?

Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#13 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

Correct SWOC.

Now without any longer range visual requirement it's recommended you get in the sh*t only when very close to another boat or in daylight on not very windy days.

And did you notice your 2mt dingy with the 2hp on the back is now required to have nav lights fitted?

Are you serious nav lights on a dinghy??

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#14 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

• A power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres (23.0 ft) whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots (13 km/h; 8 mph) must be capable of showing a white light

From the international collision regulations,have ynz their own set of rules or local authority

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

Are you serious nav lights on a dinghy??

Yes, No and maybe. It's another Regulation that is poorly written so as clear as road tar.

If you have a dingy you only row by hand then it needs a white light.

If you have any motor on your dingy you're a power boat so have to have full Nav lights.

But if you have a sailing dingy these also apply -

If you have a sailing dingy it has to now be fitted with Red, Green and White Nav lights *

If you have a sailing dingy then you only need a white light *

If you have a sailing dingy with a motor you also need a steaming light.

The above applies to all categories....and in some cases to sub 7mt boats only but not all cases as in some a 2mt dingy is treated the same as a E40.

* -Yes the two do very much appear to be in conflict but they are both in the Regs. Maybe they are now multi-choice, you're given a range and get to pick the one you like the most.

wave?

Yes an option if you are waving at me or someone else who happened to be looking in the right direction at the right moment and know what the signals mean. But to most boaters that is not a very good option.

It does seem strange they got rid of a way of visually signalling a decent range and now only have very close range visual signals. Don't suppose anyone knows why?

I keep my chutes but bang off the smoke and reds once they hit 10 odd years old. Let off 3 possibly closer to 4 dozen assorted now, the oldest being 18 years out of date. As yet no one has failed to fire. Have had 2 handhelds that seemed a bit limp and one chute that did take longer than usual to leave the tube but that's about it.

#16 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

http://www.boaties.c...nal-lights.html

They still show as under 7m  under under 7 knt all round white

owerbo less than 7 metres in length af speeds over 7play an all round white l

#17 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

So many beacracies, so many differing rules.

What I said is in the YNZ book .............. but I do suspect it's yet another case of the lazy's. The last couple of Reg books have had a large amount of 'copy n paste' leading to bizarre things like my 30fter requiring the same sized anchor warp as a 85ft power boat that is in Lloyds Survey, amongst a few too many others, as people are either too lazy to check and/or simply don't have the technical knowledge required.

But no need to worry Harry, when was the last time anyone even asked what you had aboard let alone checked?

#18 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

I am 250mts from your boating drama.

My stereo drowns out the VHF, should the VHF even be on, and I always turn my ph off as I hop aboard.

How would you attract my attention?

Whisper YNZ?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#19 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

So many beacracies, so many differing rules.

What I said is in the YNZ book .............. but I do suspect it's yet another case of the lazy's. The last couple of Reg books have had a large amount of 'copy n paste' leading to bizarre things like my 30fter requiring the same sized anchor warp as a 85ft power boat that is in Lloyds Survey, amongst a few too many others, as people are either too lazy to check and/or simply don't have the technical knowledge required.

But no need to worry Harry, when was the last time anyone even asked what you had aboard let alone checked?

Yep had a look ana you are correct ynz lights for dinghies,question that only apply if you were in race where dinghies are required? how could/can ynz overrule the international collision regs? we would pass,to the best of my knowledge cat 4 with a bit of 3, never know when you will need the gear,

#20 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Everyone is running scared Harry and in doing so are saying 'You must ........ blaa blaa blaa' in an effort to protect their own arse, often at our expense. That is the environment we now live it, dictate while not taking any responsibility for what you dictate. Some of those mobs do claim some serious horsepower when in fact they have bugger all.

As that happens we'll get more and more WTF's and quirks going on everywhere in the sport and supporting industry. Like I comply to category one very comfortably, I exceed it in many areas, but I can't comply with some of the requirements for some local Category 2 and 3 races, strange but true. Sadly I do think that is something we'll see more of and just have to live with or do something else.

I wouldn't worry about the dingy nav lighting thing, there is no way that can be anything but a failure by YNZ to proof read the new Regs properly before publishing them. We have picked up a few others as well. 

If in doubt comply with the ColRegs, they are international and well written in a clear manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users