#31 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationNgaruawahia

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

Nothing new here.It's been going on since yacht racing began. One design ! ? Yeah right. Ross 930 ,Y88, Patiki's, IA,X, P,Cherub, Javelin,Z,FD,Finn,OK, to name a very few have all got their 'out of class' stories and accompanying Grandfathering get out of jail free cards. The only class' with honour are the 12's and 18's. PHRF and other measurement rules are the same as owners 'improve' their boats after measurement. These guys needed to relax,smell the roses that are the S34's and be grateful for what they have - or had. You don't know what you've got until you lose it.

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#32 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

Patiki is a S34, the 1st S34.... and not class legal besides being a lot heavier then the rest.

They just found rot in it's decks so the owners are going to repolace them. They have plans to keep her for a long time and are well aware of her historical significance. I thought that was very good of them.

#33 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

A shame for the class all this nonsense as they have some of the best and most prolific sailing in NZ. Because of one or two kicking up they run the risk of ruining it for all, as far as I can see the various non complying boats (and there are a few) have all been this way for over ten years and raced all through. Perhaps as with the 88's the best option may be some more weigh ins, as even amongst the glass ones there is very obvious disparity.Just measure the freeboard....

#34 S34 Association

S34 Association

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

Respectfully we must disagree, our boats have been measured, weighed and corrected more than any other keelboat fleet in New Zealand. Over 55 years we have winnowed the outliers resulting in a racing fleet with performance that is extremely close and competitive. Our class rules have been vigorously enforced by a strong and active association which is one, but not the only reason why we are still here when many other classes have faded away. The matter before us is simply part of that ongoing rigor. 

We do appreciate the renewed interest in the class, but some comments don’t reflect an understanding of the boats. Patiki for example is a fine cruising boat and definitely a Stewart 34 but until she applies for a racing certificate and passes measurement then she like many others in the cruising fleet are not “class legal” for racing.

I trust this helps

#35 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:18 AM

gallery_1988_51_460570.jpg

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#36 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Patiki is a S34, the 1st S34.... and not class legal besides being a lot heavier then the rest.

They just found rot in it's decks so the owners are going to repolace them. They have plans to keep her for a long time and are well aware of her historical significance. I thought that was very good of them.

excuse my ignorance on class rules,but seeing how "Patiki"is the first s34,she must measure and all others adjusted to meet her measurements?surely you do not build a one design class then after the first 2 or 3 yachts built change the rules??

#37 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

Not necessarily Harry, there are many '1st of class' that aren't class legal for assorted reasons.

Patiki is a class boat, bar a piece of paper by the looks.

surely you do not build a one design class then after the first 2 or 3 yachts built change the rules??

It appears in some classes you can.

#38 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

I was only young when they made their appearance,but I remember a comment a crew member made,"only boat I have sailed on where you walk along the boot top to trip the kite."

#39 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Weren't we all young when they made their appearance?  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users