#751 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:39 PM

Left my dinghy in the water for one night after a late arrival to westhaven in the weekend and she shredded it...

#752 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

Left my dinghy in the water for one night after a late arrival to westhaven in the weekend and she shredded it...

According to some on this forum, if you were in the "real world" you'd be "laughing about it".  Perhaps the answer might be someone training it not to destroy people's valuable property.

#753 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:08 AM

According to some on this forum, if you were in the "real world" you'd be "laughing about it".  Perhaps the answer might be someone training it not to destroy people's valuable property.

You know what I mean which is shrugging it off and not getting bitter and twisted over it.

#754 alibaba

alibaba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBayswater

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Still not really the point. You pay for the marina berth and included in that is security for your vessel and fittings. If some hoon had come

down to your boat and destroyed your dinghy, you would expect the marina to do something about it. DOC, as usual, with it's usual 'hands off' approach

should have done something right at the start. Marinas are not natural environments for seals. If the seal hauls out on a beach somewhere, great, and we

should all leave it alone. But it needs to be discouraged from marinas, or - DOC should compensate boat owners for the destruction

#755 swift_sail

swift_sail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

I do not think she cares what we think of as her natural environment from our point of view. She probably just figures any place where she can have a sleep and catch some food from time to time will be sufficient.

It is also natural for things to adapt as best they can to change, unfortunately not animals are as apt at adaptation as she appears to be. Point and case is just look at how difficult some of us are finding the adaptation to the change of a leopard seal becoming part of our environment.

#756 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:42 AM

Yesterday, I was filling my portside water tank in Westhaven, using my new curly hose from Bunnings, Think a 25-metre pig-tail, very tightly curled.

One section was dragging in the water so I flipped the hose to try to get it out.

Splash! No luck.

Tried again. Splash!

Tried a third time  ... and Happy Teeth lunged out from under my bow and snapped at the hose just as I finally got it out on the dock.

Once I changed my shorts, all was well. But that's as close as I want to get to the beast.

#757 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:59 AM

... and Happy Teeth lunged out from under my bow and snapped at the hose just as I finally got it out on the dock.

Wow, that's even worse than facing down a water snake sunning itself on your dock 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3sA2buAd_WHI0Z3h9_aPgglxn05uCTQqP-D5mHwxlR8aPZogXMg&s

#758 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:03 AM

I do not think she cares what we think of as her natural environment from our point of view. She probably just figures any place where she can have a sleep and catch some food from time to time will be sufficient.
It is also natural for things to adapt as best they can to change, unfortunately not animals are as apt at adaptation as she appears to be. Point and case is just look at how difficult some of us are finding the adaptation to the change of a leopard seal becoming part of our environment.

As humans we are the dominant species and that means we get to make the rules. Hopefully this also means that we treat lesser species with respect but that doesnt mean allowing these lesser species to rule the environment and having their desires taking precedence over ours in spite of what DOC thinks. If you do think that animals have equal rights then stop swatting flies, killing ants and eating meat. Time for the seal to move along, or be moved along.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#759 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:52 AM

I read spmewhere that ants are the dominant species
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#760 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:28 AM

Something that would survive a nuclear winter may be smarter /more dominant than us. Do ants?
Has HT caressed a sup yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users