#271 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

If westhaven won't come to the party, maybe DoC should foot the bill. After all, they're the group letting her stay there

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#272 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,936 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Bad Kitty lost a good dinghy same way in November iirc. It's on a thread here somewhere...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#273 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

I learnt today my neighbour lost his dinghy just before xmas cruise to the bloody thing. Also ripped off some dock fender.

#274 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

It, or they, have seems to have developed a fetish for plastic and synthetic materials.

Next time anyone sees one aim it at a Rivieria or Maritimo.........better still that visual abortion that is on the end of R pier (??) in Westhaven.

#275 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

It, or they, have seems to have developed a fetish for plastic and synthetic materials.

Next time anyone sees one aim it at a Rivieria or Maritimo.........better still that visual abortion that is on the end of R pier (??) in Westhaven.

You mean the fugly blue box ?
The best sailors do it two handed

#276 BNG

BNG

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

The response from Westhaven was entirely reasonable in my opinion.

They would also like to be rid of it for the same reasons we do and more however at the end of the day there is nothing they can do. Its a DOC thing and a protected marine mammal so its well out of Westhavens (or any other marina operators) hands or scope of operation. 

Lets face it they aren't in the business of killing protected marine mammals and I think they might be as sick of the pest as we are. 

Our efforts are best directed against DOC which is where I'll send the invoice for my dinghy repair.

#277 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

It's not a pest. We just have to change the way we do things. I'm looking forward to the day when we can harness local marine life to keep our hulls smooth.

#278 BNG

BNG

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

Some people struggle with the definition of a pest Kevin.

#279 GregW

GregW

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

Its not an endangered species. If it was a stray dog destroying peoples property it would have been offed by now. Kevin, if you can train it to lick the sh*t off your boat then you would probably be in the running for a Nobel Prize. 

#280 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

It's part of the ecosystem. Whatever we get to nibble stuff off our hulls will probably do better in a fully functioning ecosystem, not a dead one. Think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users