• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#21 chippie

chippie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Call me a wuss but it makes me think twice about cruising round on my inflatable paddle board.  It swam under our boat while we were dropping sails just past the bridge and it was a lot bigger than I'd realised.

I've already had a whack from a stingray out from Herne Bay and I'm not sure which of us got the bigger fright.  Made me very aware of the meaning of the word inflatable.

I'm at my best when told to do nothing.

#22 Sundreamer

Sundreamer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Because of seal?

Kinda, more the paperwork to be filed at OSH when an employ loses an arm to a marine mammal

Choosing a boat based on resale value is a bit like picking a girlfriend based on how desirable other guys might find her after you break up. 

#23 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

not auckland

not a seal

but not too dissimilar or too far away in place or time

for insurance companies to ignore

Paul de Gelder: So, I’m what’s called a Navy clearance diver. It’s basically a bomb disposal diver. We’re in Sydney Harbor, a place where I’ve dived a hundred times before, and we were doing a counterterrorism exercise. It’s pretty boring. It sounds exciting, but it’s pretty boring. All I was doing was swimming along, acting like an attack swimmer. I was on the surface on my back and a bull shark came up from underneath me, and grabbed me by the hamstring and the hand in the same bite.

http://www.foxnews.c...joan-shark.html

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#24 gurge

gurge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:53 PM

We were watching the bungee jumping then saw the seal. If the jumpers knew how close the seal was I don't think they would have gone for the dunk option.
Everyone is an expert on other peoples lives.

#25 GregW

GregW

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

I wonder what it would have to do to get offed?

#26 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

piss off the orca?

going to be interesting when they do the harbour swims + triathlons

herne bay to watchman's island 29 oct 

http://www.aucklandh...atchmans-island

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#27 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

Oh oh, it's getting more adventurous and trying to hop into dingys now, even bite a inflatable the other evening reports are saying. 

It's now shutting down Dragon boating, Sailing schools, school visits to the area and other stuff as no one is willing to take a punt the Seal will only play nice.

As much as I like the Seal I sadly think the time has come for it to be departed from the area for the greater good of every other user.

#28 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

Tow it out of the environment
The best sailors do it two handed

#29 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,834 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

Tow it out of the environment

The problem is, they often come straight back. You would have to take it a long way out of the environment. Like way down south to their normal grounds.
I am most certainly no expert on Leopard Seals, but I doubt she would worry anyone, unless you got really close to her on purpose. Usually they stay away from People. They have to feel threatened to get dangerous. I know they have killed, but I don't think they have done so for Food as such. And this one seems happy enough food wise.

#30 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

I am happy for happy teeth to stay as long as she behaves.  Inocent untill proven guilty. I scan the horison before I go for a swim around the boat and next time might just have knife at the ready to defend myself.

If you tow happy teeth out than you should do the same with the orca, sharks and sting rays.

Maybe put a tracker on her so that we know where she is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users