#601 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

Would seem that GH, Marsden and Toots are as far north as it will go? The parores in Whangaroa can breath a sigh of relief! (Not to mention our inflatable).
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#602 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

Apparently we are all happy about this

https://www.stuff.co...aland-residents

#603 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Yes Leopard seals have now been reclassified by DOC as "NZ resident".

Also Owha has been spotted in Auckland again recently, after being up around Whangarei for the last few months.

#604 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  • LocationPatumahoe

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

Even Napier Sailing Club owns one now.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   53.35KB   0 downloads

"With age comes wisdom .... and with wisdom comes the knowing when to avoid perfection!"

#605 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

Was in whangarei last week eating fenders
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#606 Chloe

Chloe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

Had a female Fur Seal hoped on board Chloe's Duck board 2 nights ago, in Mahurangi. 

Took a bit of arm waving to convince her that she should go away. I suspect it is the same girl that I have seen in the harbour for the last 3 years but a bit early this year.

#607 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

jw4hxib290c31.png

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#608 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Attribution... https://www.reddit.c..._in_wellington/

More... https://twitter.com/...464744268845056

#609 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

https://adventuremag...TsxzlcGiIqwJIZY
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#610 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

A fairly long but interesting read. A couple of notable excerpts (the writer is in kayak)...

It was a windy and dark July morning and so Cath and I decided to stay within the marina and do circuits up and down the piers.

It was pitch black at 6.30am and we were both wearing head torches. After about half an hour, it was still quite dark, and Cath heard something behind us.  She wondered if Owha was about and then said it was probably just a fish. She then looked behind and let out a scream. Owha was on our tail, her head and shoulders were out of the water and she was following us, 300kg of muscle and teeth.

Cath spotted an empty berth and hastily headed towards it while I carried on. I decided to stop and hold onto a pole and dolphin ring. Then I saw Owha rise from under the water.  Her huge head and snorting nostrils just a few metres away from me. I looked over at her and her eyes glistened from the reflection of my headlamp. That with the huge reptilian head gave her a quite sinister appearance. She started to circle my kayak and would temporarily disappear under the water, rise again, snorting, getting a little closer to my kayak each time.  I started to feel decidedly uneasy.

Last week she also scared a poor kayakyer in Greenhithe when she placed her head on the back of his inflatable kayak. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users