Yet another cool open cpn basics thread

I played around with this on the laptop through the end of summer so I have 4.2 version I expect ( just away from that machine right now.)

As a matter of course do you guys  update each time it is modified ?. I see it has 4.4 version now.

I have  the linz charts OK and that seems to give me a couple of Tonga and a large scale Fiji as well as all NZ, so I still have the giant mysterious  obstacle of island charts to deal with,.... but that aside I'm also reading and hearing a lot about people using the Google earth images.

I did download the soggy paws google earth for Fiji and Tonga on sunday for a play around, but it does seem quite out of date in a lot of places. Some quite poor images.

So  without creating my own GE files , which scares me, some questions for a simple man.

1.is there a better place to get more recent images?

2.what is this  SAS planet I'm hearing about , a totally separate program or something that runs inside Open CPN?

A friend used and uses Ovital map which looks fantastic, but he has Ipad and I'm windows/ android , I couldn't get that to work.

and 3.  when you have both charts and satellite images on open cpn , how do you toggle between them so you can look at them separately, rather than have one dominate the other. IE . zoom in and only get the satellite images say. ?

Yep, upgrade to 4.4. It fixed quite a bit of stuff. If you want to be safe though, use only the official releases, not the beta ones...

Chart Sources. The islands are still an issue. But CM93 and what you have plus google earth are all most cruisers use - often with navionics on an ipad as a backup. Its enough to get by as long as you are sensible. If you require more, you can, for example, buy a cmap licence....

Never looked at sas planet. I will...

Chart management in Opencpn is easy - put your sat charts in a chart group, your real charts in another, and select the chart group you require :-)

I've seen SAS planet ( been shown it working) and its impressive. And for that matter so is Ovital map. That literally showed up to the side of the cockpit my friends  iphone was in.

Apparently the benefit is that they get the images from multiple  sources , google earth and or Bing etc.

just on opencpn for android

have started relying on my phone for nav advice

but every now and then it has let me down by refusing to tell me where i am

seems the problem is with the "location services?" bit

i tend not to have it running all the time as it sucks battery

but sometimes when turned on it doesn't pass lat/log on to opencpn

the current work-around seems to be turning location services off, and back on again, while opencpn is still running

For land navigation anywhere in the world I use an offline app called maps.me

In their last update they switched to defaulting to google services for location. Not much use for an offline app. I was able to disable the google services from within the maps.me app. Now it just talks to the satellites.

Wondering if a similar thing is happening with OpenCPN.

The functionality of OpenCPN is lower in the Andriod version. This sounds like an issue at OS level. What version of andriod are you on and what is the phone make/model?

vodafone smart prime 6

android 5.0.2

and while we're on tech stuff

deleted my old vindil album, and its 15? pics, here on crew 

but am still not allowed to create new album as am over my limit

We are looking at upgrading IPBoard (the system this site runs on) - that will change a few things and fix some bugs.

In the meantime, you don't have a limit. Could you email me a screenshot of the error message please editor@crew.org.nz and ill see if i can find out why its doing that.

Thx

Matt

OK, the phone,

Check for software updates;

Find "Software updates"
Slide two fingers down the display starting from the top edge of your phone.
Press the settings icon.
Press About phone.
Press Software updates.

Update phone software

Press Check for updates.
If a new software version is available, it's displayed.
Follow the instructions on the display to update your phone's software.

Otherwise, if its not working, you might just have to restart the phone.

vodafone smart prime 6

android 5.0.2

and while we're on tech stuff

deleted my old vindil album, and its 15? pics, here on crew 

but am still not allowed to create new album as am over my limit

You should be able to create a new album now? I'd missed a setting in the rights setup for Advanced users when I changed the membership system the other day. Sorry.

Just get a photobucket album, its free. upload your images to that , you can auto/ hover copy the url, then paste it in here or any other board.

I put the ovital map on the phone today and have been peering around the islands on it, and I have a gps fix for my position at work and at home so far.

Quite easy to toggle between Bing and google earth. An example being Savusavu is obscured by cloud in GE but is clear in bing.

might be a useful tool, I'll try it around the gulf this season

just on opencpn for android

have started relying on my phone for nav advice

but every now and then it has let me down by refusing to tell me where i am

seems the problem is with the "location services?" bit

i tend not to have it running all the time as it sucks battery

but sometimes when turned on it doesn't pass lat/log on to opencpn

the current work-around seems to be turning location services off, and back on again, while opencpn is still running

You could try configuring your phone for Satellite based GPS only and see if that helps.  By default I would expect it to be configured for satellite-based and network-based GPS (high precision) meaning you could momentarily lose your location if 3G/4G coverage is dropping in and out.  This configuration will have some side effects - It will take longer for the location to be acquired and it may be less accurate when you are surrounded by lots of buildings.

Phone configuration guide is here

http://userguide.vodafone.co.nz/web/vodafone-smart-prime/office-and-leisure/gps-maps-and-navigation/turn-gps-on-or-off

Otherwise you could try and download the GPS status app from the playstore and see if you experience the same location drop out issues.

thanks Farrari

actually already have the GPS status app and that won't show sat locations either when opencpn isn't getting them

so clearly the issue is the phone rather than opencpn

will try switching to device only

Are all CM93s created equal?, I've been loaned CM93 '2011' and some of its coverage in the islands is pretty basic. I'm wondering if its all there or thats as good as it gets?

Locally ... great.

Navionics and ENC

and raster

20161023_185213.jpg

GE

Screenshot_2016-10-23-18-51-13.png

Cm93 is a copyrighted program. I do not condone the use of pirated software.

The ones online have been hacked, both version 1 and 2. Version two is the last one with the security broken, before they changed their encryption to a better system - with version 3 and above, that remains unbroken.

I have seen several users using version 1 charts, that have had the file dates changed to 2012 or newer. The file dates are not indicative of a version or a production date, often merely when someone copied them.

Navico now own Cmap. Legal copies can be purchased, otherwise you are stuck with version 2. Which iirc is approx 2006....