71 replies to this topic

#1 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hi all. I just wondering if any active Nova 28 owner around who interested about to share their relevant experiences with newbies like me, or even just have a talk about these boats. I know Novas are, how can I say nicely, a bit out of date now and also plenty of bad examples around, mainly caused by poor workmanship or just the lack of maintenance. In the other hand Novas are very reliable, safe boats in my opinion and quite a few worth lot more than we have to pay for them. 

Of course I have a very extensive "to do list" with many dreams about upgrades....

Anyway, for the start I'm actually the owner of Waimanu II, since last year.  As many novices, I also had a hard time to pick the best suit design in terms of size performance etc.

After a few months of agony I ended up to making an offer for Waimanu II, which been accepted by the owner and within a couple of days I had a "new" boat.

Next challenge, to bring her home....

I'm happy to share the entire story if any interest and also I looking forward to hear yours.

I don't know if it is worth it to open a class topic for Nova 28, possibly not. We'll see...

#2 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,158 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

They can be a great boat if in good order. Gerry Clark's Totore was a modified Nova 28 if I recall correctly? Several have make difficult offshore passages. Sure, post your story...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 robinm

robinm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

I'm not a Nova 28 owner but am currently the owner of another Alan Wright design a Lotus 9.2 and hopefully soon to be owner of an Oceans 12. I'd be keen to hear more about the Nova 28.

#4 rmiker

rmiker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWaikato

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

I used to own a Nova. Great reliable design.. She was Dble diag Kauri with a non-standard cabin top. I preferred the wooden ones as they had a bit more room inside. One of things that put me off getting another one is they are all under powered in in the engine dept and you need a minimum of 15knots to get any decent sailing. And we had some fantastic trips in the 20 kn wind range.

Is Waimanu II glass or wood?

#5 AlastairW

AlastairW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

Had a Nova for 7 years, and loved the boat. We sailed her up and down the East Coast of the South Island, no trouble. She's one of the best wee sea-boats I've sailed, handles heavy weather quite nicely - and we did overpress her a few times. We never felt as if she was going to let us down. "The Wet" is double diagonal planked with a glass skin, with a flush fore deck. Limited room inside, but great for working on at sea. Never found her performance lacking in lighter airs, but, with a 14HP Sole diesel she was certainly a bit underpowered.

The experience with the Nova made me quite keen to get a bigger Alan Wright design when we were looking around earlier this year, just couldn't find one with a configuration that suited us.

Enjoy the boat, they're great !

#6 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hi thanks for the comments, great to hear others has same opinion what I have as well. I agree completely Nova is slightly under powered even I have a slightly larger main sail. Unfortunately the mast is standard so only way to grow is to lower the boom which makes a bit tight in the cockpit. I also noticed she need a decent wind to make her "fly" but I'm a bit concern about the weather helm as it could build up quite quickly. Again any advise would be much appreciated.

Back to the beginning, I purchased Waimanu II from Dunedin (used to be on a mooring in Deborah Bay) she is full fiberglass, probably from a shipyard as she has a pretty similar finish as many production boat what I seen. Would be great to know about her past but according to Alan Wright, there is no record of Novas not even hull number recorded. I hope someone could come forward with some "history".  Waimanu has been re-powered with a 17hp Lombardini (positioned too much aft and not enough space to do anything with the gland packing on the prop shaft, or install a drip less shaft seal therefore I thinking about to move the engine forward about 100-150mm some point advise welcome) engine before the previous owner took her down from North. The cabin layout is a bit different than most of Nova has. I have a large chart table on starboard forward with cross benches beside look aft and forth(the table could lowered to make a comfortable berth), and galley on port side  aft. Of course two quarter berth aft, beneath the cockpit and a decent forward v berth. I found this unusual layout works reasonably well for us. At this point we only doing short trips, overnights which is not bad at all.

I already stripped back the under water area to the gel coat, I didn't found anything wrong on the hull but the skeg and the rudder was in quite bad shape. Their cavity was full of water , many blisters on both so I almost re-built them. Also a complete electrical refit in progress as most of wiring was corroded, old-school light fittings just as most of old boat has.

In general i'm just happy with her and I look forward for the second season with small improvements.

Edited by nagy592, 25 October 2016 - 08:15 PM.

#7 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

Thanks IT I remember when last year before my purchase I found a website where the author mentioned Totore with relation of circumnavigation but unfortunately that site just disappeared. I hope someone will come back with stories about long distance  passages, one version of my long term plan to keep her, working on her towards cat 1 and something like Chatham islands or who knows even further. I'm aware of the disadvantage of small vessels so I have plan B (C, and D) as well. Possibly something like robinm hoping to do... Yes I'm still a dreamer, but I made the first step already and fingers crossed, I will not run out of time.

#8 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

Sad tale about the end of the Totorore here http://ranui.co.nz/voyages/totorore.

Another interesting Nova 28 was Innovator of Mana, still around berthed in Tauranga, did an early Round North Island Race and was rolled a few times also competed in the 1976 Ostar race https://www.luvmyboa...-yacht-race/57/

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#9 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Hi Willow thanks for the links, and apologies for the spelling mistake I'll be more cautious next time.

Both article are interesting, I think I read the Totorore story somewhere else.

It may prove it the only reason why people did not chooses Novas for longer trip because of the size and not because they are weak. Even as far I know Innovator of Mana was slightly modified for the requirements but I don't know details about the changes. Even if we talking about a production boat, everything is going back to the two main component, the build quality and ongoing maintenance. I still feel my one has one of these (not the recent caring owner). Also she already proved herself on the delivery trip from Dunedin to Akaroa (originally Lyttelton but we stopped after a bumpy ride).

I'm working on it to bring her back, even if I have no chance to win line honor trophies ever. 

Edited by nagy592, 26 October 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#10 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

Standard glass one finished the last two coastals with a very happy Bulgarian owner and crew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users