Nova 28

I have a question which is more general than Nova related. As I mentioned earlier I noticed how crowded the prop shaft area between the gearbox and the gland packing. Apparently I can't have access to the seal itself as not enough space to remove the cap from there. I was thinking to move the engine forward by 100-150 mm or maybe a bit more but 200mm max. I know this is quite a big job and new prop shaft  and engine mount involved as well (the engine mount needs to be replaced anyway).

I also expect a small improvement in the weight distribution as well but it is not that simple. I don't have any universal joint on the shaft and I want to avoid to install one therefore the engine will move forward and up. The forward move is probably a plus with no question, but the up is maybe a minus in terms of the center of gravity of the entire boat will move up (not a lot). Well I did not calculated yet but in theory... Is there any thoughts?

Get rid of your old inboard, and repower with my, year 2010 , twin cylinder 14hp Beta Diesel Engine that I am selling. Way smaller footprint engine than what you currently have I'd say, and a twin 14hp Diesel only 6 years old will have more than enough oomph for a Nova 28.

Just a thought.

That's really generous offer partisan, I just finished to read your topic and pretty tempting... My Lombardini LDW 702  is around the same age as yours, fresh water cooled and only 280 hrs in the clock with service history. If I would change it it would be an electric drive instead of any type of internal combustion engine, for various reason (I'm pretty sure I could list up more than ten).

Anyway Is your boat is a Contessa 26? Are you doing a complete refit? How is going? C26 was on my short list and I was seriously considering to go to see one but I've got Waimanu (II) now.  

I recently seen a video about a guy who sailed to Oz from UK on a Contessa 26 with a very little experience and alone of course. 

That's really generous offer partisan, I just finished to read your topic and pretty tempting... My Lombardini LDW 702  is around the same age as yours, fresh water cooled and only 280 hrs in the clock with service history. If I would change it it would be an electric drive instead of any type of internal combustion engine, for various reason (I'm pretty sure I could list up more than ten).

Anyway Is your boat is a Contessa 26? Are you doing a complete refit? How is going? C26 was on my short list and I was seriously considering to go to see one but I've got Waimanu (II) now.  

I recently seen a video about a guy who sailed to Oz from UK on a Contessa 26 with a very little experience and alone of course. 

Hi mate, yeah she is a C26. Not a complete refit, but some changes yes.  I probably purchased the one you were going to see - got it from GBI

I would like to put together a website with Nova related information mainly for myself but if I doing it make sense to keep it public.

So I calling all existing an former Nova owner if have any documentation, drawing, photos about building the boat maintenance, modifications or just stories what could share with the public, please give me a PM to arrange the details and help me to make this happen.

Hi Ross, Thanks for the documents what you sent me last year (incredible, another year just gone), I had a few things came up and the website just on hold at the moment. My son already made the core of the site but I/we have very small amount of data to share so that isn't too exciting. Probably next month he will make it accessible.

Anyway I decided to replace my old shaggy spray dodger and I had a bit of hard time to decide to renew the existing one, which wasn't quite comfortable, or build a new one. If it is a new, should it be soft or hard... Anyway I'm on the "hard " way. I know I know pros and cons... So completely custom design, foam cored composite made with vacuum bagging, with tinted/clear plexiglass windows. At the moment is ready to put on the boat for trimming back the edges (I made it slightly larger to have a bit of flexibility with positioning) so I just waiting for the weather window to do it. Then fearing, painting and ready to install. I want to do it on the dry rather than the water alongside other jobs like replacing windows and possibly install the new GEBO hatch replace the original fore deck hatch. Anyway I looking forward to hear opinions about the dodger. I'll upload some pictures when it will sit on the boat... Until that here is a link where you could see the process...

Hi Gillian, thanks for dropping by and I'm pleased to hear all your work is "safe" and available again. Would you consider to accommodate introductions/descriptions about other Novas? If so I would be happy to contribute, I guess Ross (rossd) also would be kind enough to offer the same package what he sent me earlier. Please let me know your thoughts.

Are you still sailing, have you had any recent adventures? I'm planning to sail up to the sounds this summer, presumably in January.

Hi Nagy et all.

Yes happy to have further info to add to the site especially if to do with design and construction or projects.  Please note that I am singularly lazy and it may take time to get stuff up!  Perhaps it will give me the incentive to document the improvements I have made to Smile.

I have been living aboard Smile for the last two years plus and I am effectively self sufficient for most things, TV, Computer, Refrigeration etc, and although there is never enough space to mount solar panels and that wind generators are so stupid noisy I wont have one, I do supplement with the engine as needed while cruising especially after 2 or three days without good sun.

While in the Marina with shore power there is no problem of course and the use of my microwave and hair dryer becomes practical.  I also have broadband available.

I intend being on an extended cruise through out the sounds/Durville/Nelson/Able Tasman area over the post Christmas and until whenever the weather packs it in following new year.

Hi Gillian this is already an amazing story, so congratulations. You just showed another perspective of the Nova... Laziness, hmmm "we" are lot more lazy as none of us done anything like you so don't be shy to take the credit for it. By the way your site was the only source when I was thinking about to buying Waimanu (II) so I much appreciate the effort what you put in and helped me to make a (now proven) good decision. That's why I feel important to add further information and extra details of modifications, or improvements (these things are pretty subjective so everything is from the owners point of view) to help others to make their own calls... Anyway I'm just off work to make fine adjustments on the dodger, before I get it ready for installation, so this will be the first time when I put it to the boat... I'm so excited (and nervous as well) to see how is my plan works... I'll post some pictures later on today.

So what's the plan? Bigger? Faster? Newer?

Almost... bigger, slower (I think) and probably newer. I was thinking to give it a shot, I don't have to sell, I don't need the money. If she not sell, I'll still be happy so not much to loose. Am I crazy?

I thought the idea was to buy another boat, then think long and hard about selling the old one, or maybe put it in another harbour/country? Seems most of us have far too many boats these days- if that's possible