#1 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

Starts this Sunday live streaming in English on YouTube, streams planned: 20:30 Sunday and 0:30 Monday.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#2 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:03 AM

I must say that I am pretty excited about following this race. So many different concepts in boat setup and some of them very untested. I would be suprised if the 24hr record doesnt get smashed this time as well as the total time RTW, that is if anyone actually finishes.

#3 Battgirl

Battgirl

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • LocationSnells Beach

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

Me too. It will be very interesting with such set up variation. I like it that a few guys are in there for the adventure of it.
How many finish will be fascinating. I like to think that Conrad Colman is a definite finisher.

#4 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

I'm going to make a prediction now, that a minimum of three sharks (or any other large marine animal such as sun fish) will be caught on the new dali foils this year.

Just looking at a pick of Edmond de Rothchild, those foils are ridiculous. Given the speeds those boats are achieving, it is absolutely beyond me how you could design one of those to survive an impact with an unidentified floating object.

http://www.vendeeglo...nished-business

#5 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, Fish, you're reading my mind! They are a great concept, and obviously fast, but they sure could cause a problem in a collision with anything near the surface. It will be interesting to follow this race.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#6 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

Go the Crazy Kiwi!!! He's a legend in my book. Doing it all on the smallest of budgets.. I hope a big name picks him up soon..

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

#7 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

Go the Crazy Kiwi!!! He's a legend in my book. Doing it all on the smallest of budgets.. I hope a big name picks him up soon..

Absolutely, some serious determination right there.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#8 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:54 AM

Wish the best for Colman but I can't say I'm a fan of his boat, still if something can be got out of it then Colman may be one of the people who can get it out.  He won't be last.

My guess for winner is BP8 but it's easy to see 5 of the 6 new boats not making it so you'd have to think the lucky one from that group and maybe Vincent RIOU on PRB all have a shot.

#9 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Wish the best for Colman but I can't say I'm a fan of his boat, still if something can be got out of it then Colman may be one of the people who can get it out.  He won't be last.

My guess for winner is BP8 but it's easy to see 5 of the 6 new boats not making it so you'd have to think the lucky one from that group and maybe Vincent RIOU on PRB all have a shot.

Agreed. Rubbish boat, but I think he is playing the long game. Complete this one, don't get too embarrassed, then look for some bigger support for the next one.. It's all exposure and he's a determined bugger!

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

#10 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like Conrad has a new sponsor, he might even get to the finish now.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/audios

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users