Prod fix-up

JK

Hi, would anyone be able to provide advice on the following.

the articulating prod mechanism on my sports boat needs replacing. The original design has a car made of two sheets of white plastic - is this ptfe? - sandwhiched each side of a slot cut in the bulkhead back from where the prod exits the bow, with one side machined to fit inside the slot whilst the rest provide cheeks up each side. The problem is that the slot was just bare ply and the movement of the plastic car from side-side has worn/split the ply resulting in the slot being a mess and the plastic itself breaking.

I was thinking of capping the top/bottom of the slot with a U shaped channel, stainless or aluminium, and will need to replace the plastic car.

So:

Where would I get around a meter of U shaped channel, the internal dimension is 12mm, and would probably want to come down 24mm to allow it to be bolted on without the bolts interfering with the side-side movement of the car.

Is the white plastic likely to be PTFE? If not what would be the best material & who supplies it.

Thanks,

John

Suss an outfit called Dotmar, they have a huge range of plastics. I'm sure there are others as well.

More a UHMWPE or HDPE would be the call I think. Tuffer and wear better???? I'm sure one of the dudes who sell it would know what's best.

You probably will have to get a bit and machine it into the shape you want.

For plastics, try Ludowici Plastics, they have pretty much anything and know their stuff...

12 Henderson Place, Onehunga, Auckland

New Zealand

Phone: 09 636 2900

For the channel, it probably won't be a standard size so you will most likely need to get it cut and folded. Try the guys at Metal Designs, they will be able to get the material for you as well, and cut and fold it.

8 Neilpark Drive

East Tamaki 2013

(09) 274 5586

http://www.metaldesigns.co.nz

Archived